Cupcake Gift Certificates From Biz For, Well, Gifts?

Business By emrldsky Updated 26 Jan 2011 , 6:36pm by emrldsky

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 5

Is this tacky? I was trying to come up with a way to thank the two women at work who are currently planning a work baby-shower for me, and I thought that it might be nice to give them each a gift certificate, worth the cost of 1 dozen filled cupcakes (a $30 value) from my business.

Of course I'd put all the details such as letting me know in advance, etc. etc. but just wondered if it would be considered tacky to give them freebies from my biz for their hard work?

I know they like my work (baking and decorating), so I'm not worried about that. icon_smile.gif I just know that not everyone wants or needs another candle or bottle of lotion.

4 replies
letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 11:25am
post #2 of 5

I don't think it's tacky at all. I would love receiving cupcakes as a gift! As a suggestion, though, you might want to just give them the cupcakes instead of the certificates. They may not feel comfortable trying to redeem their certificates, as it requires work from you. I'm kind of shy about that kind of stuff, though, so maybe most people would love the gift certificates just as well.

P.S. Congratulations!

katielb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 11:41am
post #3 of 5

I agree with letsgetcaking, i would simply make the cupcakes or a mini cake and give that to them. Perhaps you can suss out their favourite flavours/colours etc and personalise them a little icon_smile.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 11:44am
post #4 of 5

I agree with letsgetcaking, I think it's a nice thought but knowing you will be dealing with a new baby, I wouldn't be able to bring myself to actually place my order. Congratulations and good luck with the baby!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone! I guess my way of thinking was that cupcakes can get stale and they expire but if I gave them certificates, they can use them when I start back up. I'll be returning to work once my maternity leave is over, so they'll know when I'll be back open for business. icon_smile.gif

But I totally understand your points about using them. I know the one coworker wouldn't care, she'd use it, but the other might be shy.

Maybe I can just do a cookie bouquet instead. That might take me less work/time but give a better presentation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%