Accepting Direction Cards, Foodstamps, Ebt

Business By cakecrumbs116 Updated 27 Jan 2011 , 9:09am by JanH

cakecrumbs116 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrumbs116 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 30

Ok. I was wondering does anyone accept directions card, foodstamps for cake and cupcake orders? I have been asked over and over will I accept them but I wouldn't have a clue where to begin. I know that in the grocery stores they use a regular credit card terminal that has the option on it for foodstamps but how do you get those? And do all terminal have that option? I haven't decided yes or no to accept it. I just wanted to know your thoughts.....

29 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 12:57pm
post #2 of 30

heck no.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 1:04pm
post #3 of 30

Well I would think if a person is that destitude to be using foodstamps,direction card then I would think that they should probably be spending it on more affordable healthy food and no cake..Not to be mean...It always burns my butt when I see welfare people here smoking and buying liquor with money given to them for food and in their carts is chips and pop etc...

To answer your question.....I would say No also.

beck60 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beck60 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 1:04pm
post #4 of 30

This bought back something my cousin who lives in the state of Washington told me a few years ago. Her husbands sister was getting married and picked out a wedding cake that was $750.00. She saved her food stamps for 3 months to pay for the cake. She had 2 kids at home. I'm sorry but I don't think food stamps are given to pay for a wedding cake. Just my feelings on this. What you choose to except as payment is up to you.

Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 1:25pm
post #5 of 30

You would need to check with the regulatory agency governing food stamps. In alot of states food stamps cannot be accepted for prepared foods...only items that you purchase and prepare at home yourself.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 1:29pm
post #6 of 30

Wow, I can't believe even one person asked that!!! Hell no! If you are on foodstamps, that money is to help you put nutricious food on the table for your family you otherwise wouldn't have!! People are freakin' amazing....

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 30

Moral questions aside, you can't become licensed to accept food stamps unless you meet one of the following two criteria: http://www.phlpnet.org/system/files/Becoming_a_Food_Stamp_Retailer.pdf

(A) Offer for sale at least three different varieties of food in each of the following four staple food groups (with perishable foods in at least two categories) on a daily basis:
Bread and grains
Dairy
Fruits and vegetables
Meat, poultry, fish
OR

(B) At least 50 percent of your stores total sales (e.g., food, non-food, services) must be from the sale of eligible staple food.

Most bakeries will not qualify...we might think differently but cake is just not a staple food icon_biggrin.gif

FancyPantsBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FancyPantsBaker Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 30

You can use foodstamps to purchase grocery store cakes from the bakery (the ones that you order ahead of time) and thats probably why they were asking. Now saving 3 months of foodstamps to pay for a wedding cake is a little extreme but she probably got it from her grocery store bakery they do have wedding cakes you can order (scary thought I know).

FancyPantsBaker Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:12pm
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Well I would think if a person is that destitude to be using foodstamps,direction card then I would think that they should probably be spending it on more affordable healthy food and no cake..Not to be mean...It always burns my butt when I see welfare people here smoking and buying liquor with money given to them for food and in their carts is chips and pop etc...

In arizona the govanor has changed the way fs's work, if you do not know how to cook you will be required to go to a cooking class, soon you will no longer be able to purchase chips, pop, ice cream or any of the junk food you see most carts full of, but I dont think that just because someone is on foodstamps makes them destitute, right now my husband is going to school and he lost his job and gets 800 a month for unemployment, he has 10 days of school left and going on extern sometimes situations occur that you cant help, I have also been responsible about not getting pregnant, I dont need to have another child right now because I know I cant afford the one I have.

I make cakes to suppliment what little income we have, yes I use foodstamps to buy the stuff I need for them, but I also make sure I have plently of fresh fruits and vegitables and good lean meat in the house, I hardly if ever buy chips, soda or ice cream. For my daughters birthday I had bbq chicken and pasta salad that had tons of vegitables in them, the cake and some ice cream. I think I do pretty well with it. I just wish that most people would think that just because your on welfare it means that your buying crap and destitute. just my opinion

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:50pm
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyPantsBaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

In arizona the govanor has changed the way fs's work, if you do not know how to cook you will be required to go to a cooking class, soon you will no longer be able to purchase chips, pop, ice cream or any of the junk food you see most carts full of, but I dont think that just because someone is on foodstamps makes them destitute, right now my husband is going to school and he lost his job and gets 800 a month for unemployment, he has 10 days of school left and going on extern sometimes situations occur that you cant help, I have also been responsible about not getting pregnant, I dont need to have another child right now because I know I cant afford the one I have.

I make cakes to suppliment what little income we have, yes I use foodstamps to buy the stuff I need for them, but I also make sure I have plently of fresh fruits and vegitables and good lean meat in the house, I hardly if ever buy chips, soda or ice cream. For my daughters birthday I had bbq chicken and pasta salad that had tons of vegitables in them, the cake and some ice cream. I think I do pretty well with it. I just wish that most people would think that just because your on welfare it means that your buying crap and destitute. just my opinion

Its good that the az gov has changed the way food stamps are able to be used.

There are alot of working poor that the food stamp program helps to put food on the table for. No those collecting food stamps arent all dead beats.

Fancypantsbaker, i don't know about where you are from, but here if your only income is $800 a month, without multiple forms of assistance you wouldn't be able to keep a roof over your head.

Although i can appreciate your ambition/need to want to help your family out by baking, using your food stamps to purchase the ingredients to sell is not what the system was intended for.

JMO

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:04pm
post #11 of 30

Like texas_rose said, moral dilemma aside, if you do choose to get food stamps make sure that you get the payment that you agreed upon. I hear they use card with a pre determined amount already in it (I have no clue just what i have heard). As you can see have no clue how this works and could easily be told that there are hundreds of dollars inside and could just have a couple of bucks.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:10pm
post #12 of 30
Quote:

There's nothing wrong with using food stamps when you need them. Sometimes there are circumstances beyond your control and you've got to do what you can to feed your family. It's true that some people are really judgemental but most of those people have never been in your situation.

Using foodstamps to buy ingredients to make food to sell is illegal though...if you have to do it, you shouldn't tell anyone, even online, that you're doing it. If you get caught, you could be banned from ever recieving food stamps again, or be forced to pay back what you've been given. I have a friend who was caught, and that year the government deducted what she'd been given in food stamps from her tax refund, and after that she was banned from recieving food stamps.

pummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pummy Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:43pm
post #13 of 30

People have a lot to say when they are not in another persons postition or believe they will never be in that position. In my line of work I've learned never to look down on anyone. I see people during their worst moments. I have learned to be thankful for what I have. I agree that foodstamps are not designed to be used for a side baking business. However, if someone needs to supplement their income to keep their lights on, and to take care of their family's needs, do what you have to do. The perception is that all people on welfare are lazy. FancyPantsBaker is not being lazy. FancyPantsBaker, please take Texas_Roses' advise and don't broadcast your business!

Sandra Lee from Semi Homemade always talks about growing up not knowing where her next meal was coming from. Growing up her family was on welfare. Now look at her icon_biggrin.gif !! Good luck to you FancyPantsBaker.

FancyPantsBaker Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:14pm
post #14 of 30

thanks guys, it just irritates me to no end when people have an attitude about something they know nothing about. and im taking your advice and not going to say anything about it to anyone. I appreciate your support

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 6:31pm
post #15 of 30

Well, I do know something about it. I had NOTHING when I first had my daughter and was newly divorced, with 3 1/2 year old twins. I was on food stamps and I did cakes on the side. I would ask for payment up front, and I bought my ingredients with the payment. I also kept the receipt so I could prove it. I knew that my kids would not have food to eat if I got caught making money off of them. I NEEDED them, I had no job because I had no childcare, and to get childcare assistance, you had to already have a job. I think it is stealing to use food stamps for your business. Stealing from your kids, and from those of us who pay taxes. (I don't but I'm sure i will one day) If it happened a couple times, it wouldn't be so bad, but to consistently do it is inconceivable. And I have no problem with people getting a hand up, but food stamps should be temporary. And there should be a stigma. You should feel embarrassed to get them so you get off of them. I was humiliated, but pride didn't put food on the table, and now I am blessed I had the grit to pull myself up by my boot straps and do not need them anymore. Though we still qualify at times, we just tighten our belt straps and don't have any more kids. And there is no way I would accept food stamps, if I could, my cakes are luxuries, they need to go get a box of DH and a can of frosting until they can get back on their feet.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 7:11pm
post #16 of 30

I used to participate in an online forum relating to finance and investments, and there would occasionally be people posting openly about their illegal investment activities. On more than one occasion, government agencies (usually SEC or IRS) ended up contacting the forum provider, obtaining the poster's IP address, and uncovering the poster's identity through their internet service provider.

I'm not sure how diligent welfare administration agencies are in this respect, but using food stamps to fund a for-profit enterprise is just as egregious as some of the other illegal activities I've read about (on the old finance forum, not here), and if welfare fraud is particularly high in the area the local DA might end up pursuing criminal prosecution and jail time to make an example.

Unfortunately "I really needed the money" is not a valid defense for fraud and misappropriation.

Bskinne Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 7:37pm
post #17 of 30

There is nothing wrong with assistance. I was on unemployment for quite some time when I was laid off at 7 months pregnant, but I "made too much" on unemployment to qualify for food stamps, which is a joke. There were plently of times the only one who ate was my son. So, it pisses me off to no end someone who uses these benefits for something that they are not for! They are for buying healthy food, not cakes and crap. If you do use them for other purposes, keep it to yourself; there are people who obviously need them worse that don't get to use them.

brensmom12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brensmom12 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 7:44pm
post #18 of 30

I don't think anyone is trying to pass judgement on people who use food stamps, but using food stamps/EBT cards for purchasing a custom cake is not acceptable. A custom cake is a luxury, not a necessity.

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 7:47pm
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by brensmom12

but using food stamps/EBT cards for purchasing a custom cake is not acceptable. A custom cake is a luxury, not a necessity.

Equally as buying ingredients to MAKE the custom cake for profit, just as bad.

brensmom12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brensmom12 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 8:13pm
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie-

Quote:

but using food stamps/EBT cards for purchasing a custom cake is not acceptable. A custom cake is a luxury, not a necessity.

Sorry missed that post, but agree. If you are making cakes for purchase to supplement your income you should ask for a deposit up front to pay for the cost of making the product so you don't have to use your food stamps. I know times are tough, but that is a benefit that is so grossly abused on a daily basis and using it to purchase the ingredients to turn a profit is also an abuse of the system.

Annabakescakes Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 8:29pm
post #21 of 30
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie-

Quote:

Sorry missed that post, but agree. If you are making cakes for purchase to supplement your income you should ask for a deposit up front to pay for the cost of making the product so you don't have to use your food stamps. I know times are tough, but that is a benefit that is so grossly abused on a daily basis and using it to purchase the ingredients to turn a profit is also an abuse of the system.

Exactly! When I was on food stamps, that is what I did.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 8:38pm
post #22 of 30

And then there is the issue of paying taxes on the profit made by the cake that was made with food stamps. Did you do that? And did you report the income to welfare so that they could adjust your allotment accordingly?I think we do have a right to say something. Tax dollars pay for food stamps. This is wrong on so many levels. Taking care of people in need is fine. That is what welfare is for. Financing a business is not fine.

FancyPantsBaker Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 9:18pm
post #23 of 30

im not financing a business I did it once for the first cake I made for a friend of mine, i didnt make a profit on anything it was more or less a favor for her. so you can call me a theif or what what ever but its turning an ant hill into a mountian. Now I get all cash a week before the cake is due and buy my supplies with that.

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 9:49pm
post #24 of 30

I definitely agree that people receiving food stamps should not be able to use them to purchase a custom cake, as a custom cake is a luxury item, not an essential food product. I'm pretty sure in Florida (where I'm from) you cannot use food stamps to purchase any pre-made food items (such as fried chicken and subs from the deli, etc.) which as far as I know includes cakes in the bakery. I have also had someone email me asking if I accept food stamps for cakes and I was amazed that they would even ask.

As for the posting about using food stamps to purchase ingredients for cakes that are made to sell, I can see both sides of the argument. Technically, the food stamps should not be used to purchase ingredients for a product that you are selling. However, if she is using the money she receives from the cake to purchase food for her family, isn't that essentially the same as doing it the other way around? She's replacing the used food stamp money by purchasing family food with the cash she receives, so wouldn't it balance out?

Also, technically she should be reporting the profit she makes on the cakes. But realistically, she's probably not making that much money from the cakes to begin with. The way the system is set up really screws you over for trying to better your situation. If you start making a little more money they kick you off of public assistance for making too much. But if you make nothing at all and pop out more kids you'll get more assistance. So what incentive is there for you to work your way up to being able to take care of your family yourself? I have seen lots of people that receive public assistance and work under the table to avoid losing thier benefits. Most of them aren't doing it to deliberately screw over the system, they're doing it to keep a roof over their heads. I know of a family with a guy who has a young child and he took in his girlfriend and her 3 kids when they had no where to go and no support from the dead-beat father (because he works under the table to avoid paying any child support for the 3 kids). Because the of the 4 children in the household, they receive food stamps, but she works as a cashier and he works construction jobs so they receive no other help. I know when he was injured and didn't have enough money to pay the electric bill they bought one of their friend's groceries in exchange for him giving them the cash amount for the food. This was the only way they could keep the electric from being shut off. Technically, this is considered abusing the system, but they had enough food to last until the end of the month and they had to do something to keep the electric on.

It irritates me too to see the crap people buy at the grocery store with food stamps. I've seen people buying expensive seafood from the seafood department at Publix that I couldn't afford, along with the mounds of junk food in the cart. Food stamps should be limited to healthier foods, but the work it would take to distinguish between foods at the checkout to determine what can be bought would take even more money than taxpayers are already putting into the system. I also agree that I would be embarrassed to use food stamps. I had to pick up groceries for a family member that was sick a few years ago and she gave me her food stamp card to pay for it and I was embarrassed then, even though it wasn't for me.

There are always going to be people abusing the system, but I think what this woman is doing is pretty minor compared to the numerous people that deliberately try to profit off of public assistance. If that's what you need to do to make a little extra money to support your family, then go for it. Just don't tell anyone about it and be aware that there could be consequences if you get caught.

KakeMistress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeMistress Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 10:03pm
post #25 of 30

there are also other essentials like toilet paper, feminine products, condoms (so there arent any more kids) or what have you that you cant buy with food stamps. Give the woman a break she is trying to take care of her family the best she knows how and all you guys are doing is shooting her down for it and wanting to report her, how is that going to help her at all? its not.. Just my opinion

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 10:12pm
post #26 of 30
Quote:

im not financing a business I did it once for the first cake I made for a friend of mine, i didnt make a profit on anything it was more or less a favor for her. so you can call me a theif or what what ever but its turning an ant hill into a mountian. Now I get all cash a week before the cake is due and buy my supplies with that.

You're fine if you get cash upfront and use that to buy supplies, but your earlier statement "I make cakes to suppliment what little income we have, yes I use foodstamps to buy the stuff I need for them" seemed to imply that you were doing this on a regular basis.

And also, if you don't make a profit on your cakes, how are you "supplementing your income"?

Annabakescakes Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 10:26pm
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkraft

Quote:

You're fine if you get cash upfront and use that to buy supplies, but your earlier statement "I make cakes to suppliment what little income we have, yes I use foodstamps to buy the stuff I need for them" seemed to imply that you were doing this on a regular basis.

And also, if you don't make a profit on your cakes, how are you "supplementing your income"?

I couldn't agree more with this statement, Jason. And, that is a darn good question.

I am not putting her down, it is called welfare fraud, and this nation is 14 trillion, 71 Billion, 703 million in debt. That hurts every last one of us!

http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/debtiv.gif

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 1:40am
post #28 of 30

Back in the day when FS came in little books and the whole word knew what you were paying with I was 21, a single mom to a brand new baby and was fighting ovarian cancer (which I kicked it's butt, btw!) I was on food stamps. It completely and totally pi*sed me off to see other FS users in line with prime steak, lobsters, etc. I horded mine. I bought what I absolutely had to and saved the rest. This was the early 80s. When I was finally allowed to go back to work and stopped receiving FS, I still had $110 left to use that I had saved.... which I used to buy necessities only until my paychecks started kicking in.

I was on FS, for 6 months.. and I absolutely do judge those that abuse them. I would not even consider taking food stamps to buy cake - and I'd give them an earful as I was ushering them out the door. That just breaks my heart.

Now using the FS to buy ingredients to make a cake to make cash to buy toilet paper, I may feel a little bendy on that. Legally - wrong... Morally, I'd be willing to look the other way. But, and no apologies here, if i know someone is living better than I am on FS or welfare of any kind... I have lots to say. And I'm pretty loud about it.

Bskinne Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 2:01am
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

Back in the day when FS came in little books and the whole word knew what you were paying with I was 21, a single mom to a brand new baby and was fighting ovarian cancer (which I kicked it's butt, btw!) I was on food stamps. It completely and totally pi*sed me off to see other FS users in line with prime steak, lobsters, etc. I horded mine. I bought what I absolutely had to and saved the rest. This was the early 80s. When I was finally allowed to go back to work and stopped receiving FS, I still had $110 left to use that I had saved.... which I used to buy necessities only until my paychecks started kicking in.

I was on FS, for 6 months.. and I absolutely do judge those that abuse them. I would not even consider taking food stamps to buy cake - and I'd give them an earful as I was ushering them out the door. That just breaks my heart.

Now using the FS to buy ingredients to make a cake to make cash to buy toilet paper, I may feel a little bendy on that. Legally - wrong... Morally, I'd be willing to look the other way. But, and no apologies here, if i know someone is living better than I am on FS or welfare of any kind... I have lots to say. And I'm pretty loud about it.

thumbs_up.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 9:09am
post #30 of 30

Thanks for all the opinions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%