Feeling Overwhelmed...

Decorating By Ashley0415 Updated 24 Jan 2011 , 10:26pm by catlharper

Ashley0415 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashley0415 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 7:06am
post #1 of 5

So I offered to make this cake bake when it was a single layer 10" cake.. it has now grown to a 3-tier 8"6"4" mini wedding cake replica. She originally wanted tres leches cake, which I worked my way out of because the cake is way to soft for stacking. but today she tells me she wants lights in between each layer and provided the lights.. HOW IN THE WORRRLD do I do that?? I was thinking of using the sps (i think thats what its called) stacking system, leaving a little extra space in between each and putting the lights in.. they are battery operated so no wiring necessary.. im just feeling overwhelmed icon_cry.gif

4 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 7:24am
post #2 of 5

If I were you I would just be honest with her...tell her at this stage you're not confident that you can do that cake, and politely suggest that she should hire a professional cake decorator, to ensure she gets a cake she'll be completely happy with. If she insists that she only wants you to make it (which is likely if youre not charging her - ?) then at that point you should firmly tell her that if you make the cake it will be the 10 she originally wanted. Im assuming you are not charging her...if that is the case then you should absolutely feel free to tell her what she can or cant have for her freebie!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 5

You can use clear glass blocks/bowls/vases even clear plastic tubes if they are sturdy as seperators between the layers. Just use buttercream as "glue" when you assemble it on site. So just put each layer onto cake rounds and then the lights in the glass seperators and then just stack the cakes on the seperators. Transport the cake seperately and then assemble it when you get there.

Decorate each layer one at a time, give yourself three days so you have enough time to work out each layer without overwhelming yourself all on one day.

Hope this helps! Sometimes if you break down the components of a cake it makes it less intimidating to actually do it.

Cat

Ashley0415 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashley0415 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks so much for the advice icon_smile.gif

I'll be sure and post final pics

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 5

Never be afraid to ask for help here...PM me anytime and I'll try to help or will steer you to someone you may be able to do so.

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%