Purchased Used Edible Printer.....do I Toss And By New One?

Decorating By FH_Cakes Updated 25 Jan 2011 , 3:08pm by icingimages

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 4

I picked up a used Canon i450 edible printer (sold from photofrost) on craigslist for $50. I was willing to take the chance for the price.

I have tried printing in black, but it only comes out in dark green. I figure I will need new ink, but when I started to research the topic I see that the 2-ink printers are a thing of the past. Should I cut my losses now before putting anymore money into this machine and just go buy a new system?

I will likely only use this ptinter maybe 1 or 2 times per month, so I am thinking I might be able to keep this and get by with it....what are your thoughts?

3 replies
FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 4

Anyone???

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 4

Well..I have had nothing but a bad experience with my EI printer and inks.I bought it new and all the inks new and I only had it 4 months and the inks leaked inside and made such a mess I had to toss the entire investment.I paid well over $400.00 CAD to get set up so needless to say I am chocked... icon_evil.gificon_evil.gif

I would say don't bother buying the inks because you don't know if that is the problem or not...If you are only intending on using it one or twice a month it may not be a good investment for that much use...

EI is a neat thing and if you can get it to work properly and functionally with out problems they are great to have!!I guess I just got a lemon icon_rolleyes.gif ....but this lemon went sour icon_wink.gif

If you want more info contact Debbie here in CC at the Icing Images topic finder in the forum listings.She owns Icing Images and can be of more help..

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 4

Hi
Thanks for contacting me! The i450 is an older printer. If the cartridges are new...we dont know how old they are though, (check and see if there is a date on the cartridge), my guess is the printehead may be dried out and or the sponge is dry. SO the cheapest and easiest thing to do is to try dampening the sponge...its free...I Pm'd you the instructions. If this does not take care of it, I would put money on the printhead. Printheads run about $50-70. New cartridges ar $28. Take a look at the cartridges, there should be a tag on them that may give an indication as to the age of the cartridges.

In my personal opinion, I wouldnt invest much in that printer. It is very very old. If you are only going to be printing 2 times a month, you are better off having someone print for you. Unless you are printing at least once a week, its not worth the money involved in keeping things fresh.

I hope I was help to you...

For everyone else, before considering purchasing a used printer, please PM me so I can advise you as to whether or not it is worth the investment. Many times printheads need replacing or the printer is old and outdated. I will be glad to answer any questions to the best of my ability for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%