Icing Tooo Crusty!

Baking By DeezTreatz Updated 24 Jan 2011 , 7:54pm by NanaSandy

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 1:55am
post #1 of 9

I've been using Indydebi's buttercream recipe for while now - and I LOVE it - the taste, everything!
I do however use water instead of milk... I've never made it with milk - I like to store my cakes on the counter overnight (My icing tends to sweat when I take it out of the fridge)

I've been noticing that my icing - once applied to the cake tends to crumble - and it crusts - but it crusts waaay too much!
*See my Thomas the train cake lol*

Is there something I am doing wrong?
It my house too dry - should I add more shortening, or is it the milk I should use - but can I leave it out of the fridge overnight with the milk?

8 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 4:06am
post #2 of 9

I have read that adding a touch of vinegar will help icing that crusts too much. Yes, from what I read on here, you can leave it out overnight without problems.

redheadfairy2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redheadfairy2003 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 4:23am
post #3 of 9

I use her recipe all the time.... I use heavy whipping cream in mine now ..I did use milk.. There are no issues as far as leaving out... I never put mine in the fridge. I have also heard about the vinegar and also you can use a little light corn syrup and it will help..

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 9

Hrmm How does it taste with whipping cream? Sounds yummy!
How long can it stay out of the fridge for?

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 9

I have been having the same problem lately. I am using the same frosting recipe as I always have, and never had this problem before. So I am beginning to think it is just the temp in the house? I think I am going to try the vinegar. Does anybody know how much you should add?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 5:02pm
post #6 of 9

Winter months tend to have drier air. I've noticed my icing is often drier this time of year.

The more fat in the recipe the slower the crusting process. I actually use a 2 cups crisco to 2lbs powder sugar, and my icing crusts just fine. I know Indy's starts with less, but if it is crusting too much for you, then just add in some more crisco and see how that helps.

The milk products are suppose to help make it more creamy, but I'm not sure they if they have a big effect on the crusting.

NanaSandy Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 9

I also use 2 cups crisco to 2 lbs sugar. So that isn't it. ??

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 9

It still could be, because of the drier weather. Think about how your skin reacts to the winter weather.

You can still try adding a little more fat, like a 1/4th of a cup and a little more of your liquid.

I've heard the vinegar thing but never had tried it myself.

NanaSandy Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 9

I have a cake to do this weekend, so I will try that! Thank you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%