Modeling Chocolate!!!

Baking By jennyflame Updated 23 Jan 2011 , 1:31pm by drakegore

jennyflame Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennyflame Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 5

So I've made about three batches of modeling chocolate, using white chocolate chips. The first batch came out oily. Is there a way to repair this? And what should the consistency look like right before refrigerating? The other two seem a bit grainy. I tried not to over kneed them.

4 replies
Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 5

first off, don't refrigerate. did you use white chocolate chips or the white candy melts from craft store? only the candy melts will work.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 5

Yup, I haven't been able to get white chips to work. Only the candy melts.

Like Alfiesmom said, don't refridgerate, mix it up, let it rest on some wax paper or plastic wrap and then tightly double wrap in plastic after cool. It will seem to have some fat or wax on it, you could scrape the excess off before wrapping up - or not. Let it sit overnight - 24hrs on the counter (I throw it in a plastic container in the cabinet). Knead until workable and have fun.

I like to add flavoring to the white chocolate - lemon is my fave.

Most say it keeps for 2 weeks but I've had it last up to 2 months double wrapped, in a container, in cool dark cabinet.

jennyflame Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennyflame Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 1:01pm
post #4 of 5

White chocolate chips worked just fine. It looked oily, but after being in the fridge for a few hours it was perfect.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 5

i always sop up the excess oil with paper towels before i wrap...and then when i upwrap, i scrape off any i missed. i made pink and yellow last night and i must have used up 8 paper towels each getting rid of oil.
i absolutely hate working with candy melts because of the fat issues...regular modeling chocoalate is a dream to work with and candy melts are just kinda downright yucky (highly technical term, lol) to make.
diane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%