Hershey's Chocolate Cake Recipe In A Convection Oven?

Baking By leafO Updated 21 Jan 2011 , 2:48am by sugarandstuff

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 1:42am
post #1 of 15

I really love the Hershey's perfectly chocolate cake recipe but lately it's not been so perfect! It used to always turn out great but it keeps falling in the middle! I'm really sad 'cause my famlily loves this recipe and I know my cousin is going to want me to make it for her wedding this summer so I'm desperately trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. icon_redface.gif

I've tried everything to try and figure out why. I've baked with a flower nail in the center and without, I tried different oven temps and times, different rack placements, with convection fan on and off. I even tweaked the recipe a little and added more flour and less liquid but that only helped a little.

The only thing I can think of that's changed is that I got a new oven that is a convection where my old circa 1969 oven was not. Could this be the reason or is it something I'm doing wrong. Has anyone else had trouble with this recipe in a convection oven?

14 replies
cupcake99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake99 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 2:12am
post #2 of 15

I have a convection oven and I dropped the temp 50 degrees less then recipe calls for...maybe that will help

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 2:36am
post #3 of 15

sometimes it falls in the middle if you take it out of the oven a little too early. be sure your tester comes out clean

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 2:58am
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom1

sometimes it falls in the middle if you take it out of the oven a little too early. be sure your tester comes out clean

I disagree, if the tester comes out clean, the cake is overbaked. A few crumbs should cling to tester. As to why your cake is falling, are your ingredients fresh, for instance baking soda or powder?

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 3:22am
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom1

I disagree, if the tester comes out clean, the cake is overbaked. A few crumbs should cling to tester. As to why your cake is falling, are your ingredients fresh, for instance baking soda or powder?

I agree, if its clean its over baked. Drop you're oven temp. I only drop line 25 deg but like the PP said try 50 too?! HTH GL

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 3:27am
post #6 of 15

I love this recipe as well and get great, great feedback on the taste, however, I've also had inconsistent results with it - falling in the middle and not sturdy enough to stack. I also have a confection oven - and I'm not sure if maybe that's what it is. I am going to give it another try with dropping the temp and taking the confection off.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 3:40am
post #7 of 15

I don't have a convection oven, but I had trouble with this recipe falling in the center. I finally lowered my rack by 1 position and that helped.

sunset74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunset74 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 3:40am
post #8 of 15

I love one of the others that I believe is made very similar. Add hot water at the end. One problem I found was if I added to much batter to one of the pans or if I tried to double the recipe but not use the right size of pan then it fell in the center. My husband actually had to do a formula for me that worked for EVERY pan I have. That I measure the batter and put a certain percentage in it. it is horrible to have to deal with but I get great reviews on the cake. Wish I could help but I don't use my convection and this happens.

leafO Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 4:16am
post #9 of 15

Thanks for all the great replies. The problem is it falls in the center before it's even done in the middle...It will rise nicely and then fall about 15 min before it's time to take them out. So weird! It kind of looks bubbly in the center, very strange.

Cupcake99 when you lower the temp, do you bake it with the convection on or off?

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 5:13am
post #10 of 15

Try bake even strips. With it not getting done it may not be getting proper heating at the center. I know you tried nails but maybe try bake strips?!

leafO Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 5:33am
post #11 of 15

Thanks SimplySouthern I'll have to get some and try those too.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 5:45am
post #12 of 15

I would also recommend the bake even strips. I baked in a comm'l convection oven, reduced the temp, used bake even strips and this recipe always worked great for me.

What do you mean by "not sturdy enough to stack"? icon_confused.gif Stacking is supported by the support system, not by the cake.

Here's also some info from Betty crocker on why a cake will fall: http://www.bettycrocker.com/products/supermoist-cakes/faq

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 6:06am
post #13 of 15

I bake it in my home convection oven with bake even strips and lower the temp 15 to 20 degrees. I have never had a problem but also never baked without the strips. Keep the nail in for extra insurance. You really just may need to get used to your oven. I suggest make your favorite cupcake or quick bread and bake one at a time until it is right. Your shortened baking time and lower temp should be noted, but used as a gauge. Usually the temp on your oven will be good for all recipes, but the time will still vary. For example, if you cooked the cupcakes 4 minutes less, a 9 inch cake may be 6 or 7 minutes less. Just practice and soon you will wonder how you ever baked without it.

I actually bake that cake until just done (a few wet crumbs) and it turns out great.

leafO Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 1:47am
post #14 of 15

Thanks so much everyone! I'll definitely give the bake even strips a try, Thanks icon_smile.gif

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 2:48am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I would also recommend the bake even strips. I baked in a comm'l convection oven, reduced the temp, used bake even strips and this recipe always worked great for me.

What do you mean by "not sturdy enough to stack"? icon_confused.gif Stacking is supported by the support system, not by the cake.

Here's also some info from Betty crocker on why a cake will fall: http://www.bettycrocker.com/products/supermoist-cakes/faq

What I mean by not sturdy enough to stack is in the texture and firmness -yes, I know what a support system is and utilize this method when making tiered cakes. Tanks though for the tip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%