Fondarific Or Fondex Which One Do You Prefer

Decorating By Charmed Updated 21 Jan 2011 , 7:08pm by MadMillie

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 12

to use and why. I want to buy either of these and need your input about them and how they handle,price wise and what problems ( if any!) have you had with either of them. Thanks for any input. thumbs_up.gif

11 replies
sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 12

Well, I've never used the rific one, but I used Fondex for the first time yesterday. I loved the taste and the handibility. I usually use Wilton; a half and half mixture of Wilton with MMF for taste properties. The fondex though was really pliable, but not too much and the test reminded me of my mixture of half and half.

HTH,

Christy

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 12

personally, i dont like any fondant that needs microwaved to work, mmf i have to microwave, and fondarific also. FonX i do not, so thats my pick. I do wonder how you all microwave huge batches for a big cake and get it uniform in heat intensity?

every time i microwave my mmf i cant get it even...

FonX and satin ice is my pick

SJenkins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJenkins Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 12

I have recently used Fondex on two cake orders and here is my opinion, It has a good taste and great consistency for covering cakes, i.e., easy to roll and smooth once applied. The down side, because of the smooth consistency it was very fragile, I had to roll it out a little thicker than I normally would to cover a cake to keep it from tearing, also, again due to it's smooth consistency, I found that cutting out details for the cake was difficult, it tended to reattach itself if not pulled away immediately. Also, I purchased white to be able to tint it to the desired color and found that it got sticky really fast when coloring so I had to keep adding powdered sugar. If you look at my pictures the cookie monsters cookie jar is some of the tinted Fondex, and the super man cake has Fondex accents. I found that I had to mix the Fondex with Wilton's stiffer fondant to do the zebra stripes on cookie monsters base cake.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 12

I love Fondx. The only drawback is that it cannot be airbrushed.

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 12

why cant it.. i had no idea, good to know?

MadMillie Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 12

Here is info on fondx. I'm not sure why you can't airbrush, but it says you can't. Surely there is a way to figure out how to.

http://www.fondantsource.com/frasqu.html

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 6:56pm
post #8 of 12

I love fondx icon_smile.gif I only use that brand now...
I did use SI, then rrific but I hated having to mircowave it..
I had no idea that you can't air brush it? icon_confused.gif I wonder why???
Jodi

MadMillie Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 12

www. f o n d a n t s o u r c e .com/forofo.html

no spaces

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 7:05pm
post #11 of 12

My biggest problem with Fondarific is that it cannot really be airbrushed...due to the higher fat content, the airbrushing will kind of "bead up" a bit on the surface...it does NOT airbrush smoothly. It also is not good for making decorations that you'd like to firm up, like bows and stuff.

Right now I'm a pretty faithful user of FondX.

MadMillie Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 7:08pm
post #12 of 12

Now that they have Fondx available in colors, have you tried any colors? Do they work as good as the white?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%