Another Storage Question

Decorating By KMaryP Updated 19 Jan 2011 , 9:33pm by KMaryP

KMaryP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMaryP Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 3

I baked a cake last night that will be served this Saturday. I wrapped it tightly in cling wrap and left it at room temp. I plan to decorate it Friday in buttercream (made with 1/3 butter, 2/3 crisco, a splash of milk) and mmf.

What's the best way to store it until then? Should I crumb coat it or leave it as is?

Once it's decorated I assume it's best to leave uncovered at room temp, right? TIA!

2 replies
NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 3

I always bake my cakes on Wednesday and crumb coat them, stack, fill and put another layer of Butter Cream on Thursday, decorate and finish on Friday for a Saturday delivery. My cakes stay out of the fridge. They are always fresh and moist tasting! I know lots of people refrigerate, but I don't have the room to do that, so this works fine for me. I only do a couple cakes a month. The crumb coat locks your freshness into the cake. Just my opinion. I am sure there will be others that do it differently.

KMaryP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMaryP Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 3

After the crumb coat has crusted, do you wrap tightly in cling wrap or just loosely cover them? Also, do you cover after decorating?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%