Expiration Calculator?

Decorating By motherofgrace Updated 19 Jan 2011 , 2:55pm by motherofgrace

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 4:13am
post #1 of 9

I have some recipes from my grandma, that do not have how long they are good for....

Is there some way to figure this out?

Here is one

1 white potato (cooked and mashed)
7 cups of powdered sugar
1 tsp mint flavor

Mix, and dip in chocolate

8 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 9

I am no way a food scientist, but I wouldn't eat mashed potato after it had been in my fridge for around 3 days, for example. I know it is mixed with a lot of PS, which is a preservative, and covered in chocolate so it will be airtight, but even so...I would still say around 2-3 days?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 12:50pm
post #3 of 9
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 1:05pm
post #4 of 9

Potatoes will start to ferment after a while, there's a type of sourdough that's made with mashed potatoes. (I think I'll make some today, thanks for the reminder, haha!) 2-3 days in the fridge sounds about right.

motherofgrace Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 9

oh really?

I have made this recipe before, and it has lasted 2 weeks, before they were all gone......

hmmmm, well thanks for that icon_smile.gif

But I wasnt just talking about this recipe, Is there anyway as a baker/confectioner, to figure out the expiration dates of a recipe

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 1:12am
post #6 of 9

Hahaha, what, they didn't turn to sourdough? Haha!

Here's a chart that mostly explains what the sell-by date means, but on the sidebar on the right side of the page it has a chart of different types of food and how long they should last. http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Articles/Nutrition-Health-Food-Labeling-646/food-expiration-dates.aspx#r1

I don't think that's exactly what you're looking for, but it's the closest thing I could find, everything else just looks like it has individual ingredients listed.

motherofgrace Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 2:02am
post #7 of 9

No actually they were still good icon_smile.gif

Thanks tho

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 12:53pm
post #8 of 9

Actually in one of the links JanH posted, one person said that the potato candies last indefinitely (or as long as your hand stays out the jar anyway). Incredible really!

motherofgrace Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 9

oh thats great to know thank hyou!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%