How Do I Stack Cakes On End Instead Of Flat?

Decorating By areliz909 Updated 17 Jan 2011 , 10:02pm by tarheelgirl

areliz909 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
areliz909 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 8

I would like to make a robot cake for my son's birthday and was originally planning to just stack square cakes for the body but, after thinking about it, thought the body would look better if I put three square cakes together and then stack on end (tall rather than flat). I have never tried this and was wondering if anyone has and how to secure these cakes so that they do not separate or fall apart at the party. I am planning to cover the whole thing with fondant but not sure if this is enough to keep it together. Also, I will then be stacking the robot's head on top of these cakes which will be smaller square cakes. Help...party is this Sunday!!

7 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 8

I wouldn't do it... gravity will win.

You're better off cutting your square cakes and stacking the portions removed to build up the shape you want.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 8

Yep , ditto that reply. icon_smile.gif

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 8

and dowels!!!! That will help.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 8:23pm
post #5 of 8

agree with the above posters.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 8

Yes, I have to say that I would not even attempt that. I'm guessing the cakes will just collapse no matter what you do. Go with the regular way of stacking cakes.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 9:31pm
post #7 of 8

I would go there...sounds like a cake disaster waiting to happen! Just cut your squares to the size you want and stack normally with board and dowel support for every 4" in height.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 10:02pm
post #8 of 8

I did a R2D2 for my son last year. I took 8" rounds and stacked like normal covering the whole thing in fondant. For the head I used the sports ball pan. Every 4" had a SPS plate. It was at least 12" tall. I would definitely use support or it will be a disaster!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%