Airbrush Spits And Sputters

Decorating By tryingcake Updated 18 Jan 2011 , 5:26am by tryingcake

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 6

My airbrush has begun spitting and sputtering, leaving my work spotty.

I've cleaned it as the instructions call for, but maybe you all have some other ideas before I give in and buy a new one.

I wouldn't think these things really go bad like that.

Oh, before you ask, the air is a constant/steady stream, I don't thing the problem is the compressor itself. But I really don't know.

5 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 6

i just purchased an airbrush system and am also interested in hearing a solution in case i run into this as well. is it the paint maybe? are you using americolor airbrush colors?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 6

does your airbrush have a needle in it? (not all do that's why i ask) When i used that type of airbrush i found it "spit" if the end of the needle is bent. Even if you can't see it with your eye it can be if you look closely.
Or it could be that the needle needs to be adjusted in our out.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 6

oh... and if it's just the needle that needs replaced that is much cheaper than getting a whole new airbrush gun.

Can you post what make, model, brand of airbrush you have? Maybe someone else that has it will see and possibly have another answer for you if it isn't one of the above.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 6

Also let us know if your have a moisture trap in the line from the compressor to the airbrush, and whether or not you have released any moisture build-up recently.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 5:26am
post #6 of 6

Great suggestions. I'll get the make and model in the morning and post the answer. Thank you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%