How Much Would You Charge For This Cake

Decorating By Celinescakery Updated 17 Jan 2011 , 2:47pm by Celinescakery

Celinescakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Celinescakery Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 12

Hi everybody, I'm doing cakes for fun for a while now (not professionally) but more often people ask me if the can order a cake but I don't know what to charge at all if I would do it.

Can you give me some advice - for example for a cake like my last one (see picture)....

Thanks a million.... C.

{I can't add the picture - tried it a couple of times} You could see the cake under my photo section - the first one "Simpsons cake".... Thanks

Forgot some details I think (sorry)... So this is a 2 layer whimsical cake (10" and 8") cake, Raspberry filling, covered with chocolate ganache and MMF.

11 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 12

Is this some kind of a joke??? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Celinescakery Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 12

What do you mean?

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 12

Two tier cake - I'd be charging at least £70.

CP x

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 12

My fruit fillings are using all fresh fruit and cooking them... so if I made a 10" and 8" TT, first, I wouldn't let them have raspberry filling, but if for some reason I did, it would $330 if the topper is a toy.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 2:06pm
post #6 of 12

Sorry..It's just your cakes look very professional.Sometimes we get people who come on this site and ask silly questions and it ends up being a troll/joke and they start a big discussion about a ficticional story etc and many people get involved and end up getting angry that is was a spoof.I was wondering if this was such a person...Your cakes are gorgeous andI can't believe that you are not in business etc...so it sounded weird you asking prices... I didn't mean to sound suspicious... icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

I do apologize....

Celinescakery Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 12

@Kiddiekakes icon_lol.gif

Don't worry - I was just wondering what that supposed to mean and I'm even happier that you thought my cakes look professional - more reason to go more officially. So Thank you icon_biggrin.gif

@everybody else: Thanks so far - I really appreciate your suggestions and your help.

Ciao, C.

Celinescakery Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 2:30pm
post #8 of 12

@aligotmatt

Thanks for your respond - but why you wouldn't let them have raspberry mouse filling?

Thanks, C.

aligotmatt Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 2:32pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Sorry..It's just your cakes look very professional.Sometimes we get people who come on this site and ask silly questions and it ends up being a troll/joke and they start a big discussion about a ficticional story etc and many people get involved and end up getting angry that is was a spoof.I was wondering if this was such a person...Your cakes are gorgeous andI can't believe that you are not in business etc...so it sounded weird you asking prices... I didn't mean to sound suspicious... icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

I do apologize....

Agreed. And also, area of the world, years of experience, how well known you are in the area all play a part. So what I charge isn't really going to help someone, may not even help someone in my area if all the factors aren't aligned. BUT I do no think it's funny to give answers, knowing that the person couldn't take and apply my price to their life.

aligotmatt Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 2:45pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schabenmaul

@aligotmatt

Thanks for your respond - but why you wouldn't let them have raspberry mouse filling?

Thanks, C.

Because it's not as stable.

Celinescakery Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 2:45pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I do apologize....

Agreed. And also, area of the world, years of experience, how well known you are in the area all play a part. So what I charge isn't really going to help someone, may not even help someone in my area if all the factors aren't aligned. BUT I do no think it's funny to give answers, knowing that the person couldn't take and apply my price to their life.

You are right - these are exactly the things I have to find out but I totally understand that nobody can give me an exact number - I just thought it might be helpful for me to have an average where I can start with. If I have offended anyone - well, then I'm sorry. C.

Celinescakery Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 2:47pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schabenmaul

@aligotmatt

Thanks, C.

Because it's not as stable.

icon_biggrin.gif That's right - and I'm speaking of bad experience here. But I figured that when I'm using the ganache as a dam and for crumb coating then it stays where it belongs. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%