Frozen Pond???

Decorating By PeytonsMom0207 Updated 27 Jan 2011 , 6:53pm by PeytonsMom0207

PeytonsMom0207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeytonsMom0207 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 9

My daughter is about to turn four and her cake is going to be the death of me! She started out wanting a kangaroo and a swimming pool and now wants winnie the pooh and kanga and roo and gang ice skating and sled-riding since her party is a sledding party. So I am going to use an angel foodcake as the sledding hill and put an ice skating pond in the middle. I am going to start working on the figures about two weeks ahead, but I am stuck on the ice pond. I don't want it to look too blue like a regular unfrozen pond, but I don't want it to be plain white like the butter cream for the snow.

Any suggestions???

And, just for fun since bad things always happen to Eeyore, I think I am going to try to made it look like Eeyore is sliding down the hill on his face with Roo riding on his back! Wish me luck!

8 replies
grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 9

Just give it the tiniest bit of blue coloring. Just enough to make it different than the white. Use the bluish grey blue Wilton's Delphineium (I Think).

PeytonsMom0207 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 9

Another friend suggested using melted sugar to make a solid slab of pond that could be laid on the cake. I have no idea how to do melted sugar. Time to do some readingicon_smile.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonsMom0207

Another friend suggested using melted sugar to make a solid slab of pond that could be laid on the cake. I have no idea how to do melted sugar. Time to do some readingicon_smile.gif

That would be that you have to color isomalt. look on the main page at the sugar bottle directions, and Chef Dominic, tells you how to use isomalt.

Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 9

i was thinking that maybe you could carve a "pond" on the cake, fondant it and cut the hole out from the fondant as well. fill with pipping gel and then you could tint some melted sugar letting it harden on a silpat. after it has hardened and cooled, tuck the hardened sugar under the fondant so it looks like a frozen pond!

wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 10:23pm
post #6 of 9

You could try melting " Foxes Glacier Mints " in the oven with a tiny drop of blue food colouring . Worked well for me instead of sugar

sandidev Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandidev Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 5:49am
post #7 of 9

i melted blue jolly rancher candies in oven on foil, let it harden then popped it off for pond, it looked real! pics in my photos

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 8:51pm
post #8 of 9

i made a pond for my gingerbread house this past christmas. first i made a form out of aluminum foil in the shape i wanted the pond. i formed sides so nothing would melt out. i crushed up some halls menthol cough drops (the light blue ones) and put them in the form. i put the foil on a cookie sheet and baked in a 350 F degree oven until everything was completely melted. i then left it to cool completely. after it was cool, i tore away the aluminum foil, and presto! i had a nice blue pond.

PeytonsMom0207 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 6:53pm
post #9 of 9

You guys are awesome! I think I will try the Halls Cough Drops, since I know I have some here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%