How Do I Get The Hair Look

Decorating By sweetnessx3 Updated 8 Feb 2011 , 2:26am by sweetnessx3

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 5:28am
post #1 of 5

Im making one of the books this week that was in the harry Potter series . Im going to try and post a pic of it . But the book is covered in hair lol! Its the book that tried to bite him. The book of Monsters. TIA, Lisa

Ah poo the pic wont attach , I wish they'd fix this icon_sad.gif

4 replies
mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 6:14am
post #2 of 5

To get the hair look with buttercream, you can use the grass tip (Wilton tip #233)

Eta: I've got quite a few cakes in my photos using it. I keep 2 on hand for big areas since the buttercream will get warm in my hand after a bit and not hold the shape as well, so I rotate bags.

sweetnessx3 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you Mrsbriggs ! I had thought about that but wondered if there was a way to get a thinner hair look . I just may have to do it this way !

Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 5

well another thing will be fontant, you have 2 ways of going it, either keep scratching at the surface of the fondant and you will get a fur look or if u really want to see the hair use an extruder, with the smallest holes.. extrude the hair and from fondant and stick them on the book,, the finishing should be nicer, cleaner and thinner than buttercream but it will take you much much much longer time to finish it

sweetnessx3 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:26am
post #5 of 5

Thanks to everyone for the advice , very much apreciated ! Heres the finished book with hair lol! What I finally decided on was to cover the cake is brown bc and make some very thin white bc and with a paint brush spread it over the book in lite motions to kinda get the hair look , I was happy with how it turned out . Thanks again for the advice . I did look for a clay extruder and my Michaels didnt have one but I will get one icon_smile.gif I hope the pic of the cake attaches , if not I uploaded in my pictures .

Lisa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%