Success With Freezing Fondant Covered Cake?

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 14 Jan 2011 , 9:32pm by Corrie76

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 4

I am in need of freezing a fondant covered wedding cake? My cousin is getting married and asked me if I could make the cake (I would really like to, I love this cousin). Problem is my family and I are leaving for Disney 2 weeks prior to the wedding and won't be back until the day of the wedding (this is if we push it, we're driving). Does anyone have any ideas on how I can make this work. I use MFF and love it. The cake is to be quite simple, covered in fondant with fondant ribbon around each tier and a gumpaste daisy on each tier.

Thanks,
Sheila

3 replies
Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 4

no worries. i froze my cheshire cat cake (mix up on pick up dates). i just loosley covered it with saran wrap (so it's not touching the fondant), when you take it out of the freezer, just make sure not to touch the cake as your fingerprints will show up. just let it thaw naturally. it's great!!

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 4

How far in adavance do you think you should take it out to thaw. Do think putting a fan on low will it it dry without the condensation? This is a big concern for me. It's going to be a large wedding.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 4

I chose to freeze a fondant covered wedding cake last summer, as the cake was being transported by the sister of the bride and would have to travel for 4 hours to the wedding site. I thought it would be safer/more stable for the transport if it was froze solid....Anyways I put the cake in a cardboard box (with duck tape loops to secure the bottom) and wrapped the whole thing in plastic wrap. The cake made it to the reception with no problems and I was later told by the many of the guests, that the cake looked and tasted wonderful. It was a 8"X10" two-tier, so eveidently 4 hours was adequate to thaw. I've heard the key to sucessful thawing is to keep the cake in the box or under-wraps until it's totally thawed-that way there's less "sweating" since the condensation will gather on the box-not the cake as it thaws.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%