Red Fondant Just Won't Darken

Decorating By Queento2 Updated 15 Jan 2011 , 7:11pm by cownsj

Queento2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queento2 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 12

i remember reading on here about red fondant. i made my fondant two days ago and attempted to color part of it red. i followed a tip about mixing it in small pieces to help with the mixing process of getting it nice and even. the problem is that it just will not get darker. the color is sort of a reddish pink. i've seen pics on here of other people's red fondant and it's soooo beautifully red. was it store bought? the only thing i'm using it for is for my little balls that go around the edge of the cake and maybe some other accents. i'm beginning to hate red and black BC and fondant!! i was even entertaining the idea of using red BC for the balls instead, but after a week and a half it's not red yet either. Please someone give me a miracle tip. The can needs to be made by Sunday(it's my bday cake icon_biggrin.gif ).

11 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 12

What kind of color are you using? Sometimes with the little wilton jars you have to use a lot more color than you'd expect. If you can get some Americolor Super Red you'll have better luck with it.

The easiest way to make red fondant is to add the color before you mix in the powdered sugar. Make it about as dark as you want the finished result to be, the sugar will not make it much lighter, and it will usually darken a bit overnight.

birdlady9771 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdlady9771 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 12

I don't make my own, but I've read that if you color it before adding in the PS it mixes much better.

My way is pre-made all the way for dark colors. Well worth the cost to save your sanity!

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 12

I make my own MMF. I really love Americolor SuperRed when I have to make red fondant.

robbemorka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robbemorka Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 12

I use Sugarflair Colours (A lot of Claret and bit Ruby mixed) to get a deep red.
You can see the red in my pictures (the heartshaped cakes)
I usually kneed it into white fondant, and it mixes really well and darkens after a day.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbemorka

I use Sugarflair Colours (A lot of Claret and bit Ruby mixed) to get a deep red.
You can see the red in my pictures (the heartshaped cakes)
I usually kneed it into white fondant, and it mixes really well and darkens after a day.

That is a fabulous red. The sugarflair colours, are they pastes, gels, or powders? I have their aubergine petal dust - it's beautiful.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Queento2 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 6:11pm
post #7 of 12

i used Duff's red. I was going to try his red fondant, but $20 is a lot for something that I'm not sure will taste good. Has anyone tasted his fondant? The reason i didn't mix it in first was because i didn't want it all one color just in case i need some for my cherry stems and leaves.(my name is cherry and am decorating it with cherry's some kind of way either by hand painting, or fondant or something).

Queento2 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 7:27pm
post #8 of 12

Because I'm at work, and well, besides working icon_cry.gif I have nothing else to do but check every couple minutes for a reply(no life and unrealistic expectations I know lol). So, I decided to google the taste of Duff's fondant. I found a forum post on Wilton's and people say it tastes surprisingly very good. So, if push comes to shove, and at $20 bucks, it would have to, I will buy Duff's red fondant for my cake. I still have hope that my pinkish red fondant will darken by Sunday morning at the latest.

robbemorka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robbemorka Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 7:30pm
post #9 of 12

Theresa, the colours are paste colours, and a little bit goes a long way.
I'm in love with their pink and red shades, the violett is also a great choice.
I bought some of the petal dusts, they are all great, and some luster dusts in gold and silver. I can highly recommend the royal gold mixed with alcohol, it gives a nice, rich gold colour for painting on fondant. (also in the pictures)

Queento2, have you thought about mixing some orange colour with the red, to cut the pinktone?

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 6:41pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queento2

i used Duff's red. I was going to try his red fondant, but $20 is a lot for something that I'm not sure will taste good. Has anyone tasted his fondant? The reason i didn't mix it in first was because i didn't want it all one color just in case i need some for my cherry stems and leaves.(my name is cherry and am decorating it with cherry's some kind of way either by hand painting, or fondant or something).

We use Duff's red and black. They both taste good, we have no problem using both of the, and have covered whole cakes in the black.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 7:01pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queento2

Ihaven't used Duff's either I usually make my own MMF, but if you do have to buy it in a pinch never ever ever go to michael's without a coupon! I found this sight and you can have emails sent to you at 20% off entire purchase, 40 & 50 % of on a single item ... the site holds many other place to get coupons from the site is www.dealspl.us I get coupons all the time and have never had a problem with this site so it's safe. HTH

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 7:11pm
post #12 of 12

You can also sign up with Michaels and they will email you all their specials and coupons.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%