Fondant Covered Boards

Decorating By cakesnglass Updated 9 Feb 2011 , 11:32pm by MacsMom

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 12

I am curious what type of adhesive (piping gel, royal icing etc.) when covering your boards (plywood or masonite, etc.) with fondant - Piping gel is so unforgiving. How to and materials used would be appreciated. Thnks in advance! icon_smile.gif

11 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 12

I use foamcore. I don't use anything to stick the fondant down, just put a blob of fondant in the middle of the board and then roll in all directions. Then glue a ribbon around the edge of the board. In a couple of days the board hardens enough that sometimes I've had people think it was ceramic and try to return it.

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 12

I covered a plywood board recently. I just used crisco when rolling out the fondant and then pressed down as I smoothed it on the board. It stuck beautifully.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 12

I use water. Not too much though - just enough to moisten the board a little. Works well.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 12

I use water too, just a little using a pastry brush to moisten the surface. And I don't actually cover the whole board, just the strip that shows after the cake is placed on the board.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 11:26pm
post #6 of 12

We use piping gel. But instead of putting the fondant on the board, we roll out the fondant and put the board gel side down on top of the rolled fondant.

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 12

What about if you are using one of those thick cardboard boards that are covered in the decorative foil? What would you use? I am doing a patchwork look too so I will only be adding fondant piece by piece.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:56pm
post #8 of 12

Same stuff, water, shortening or piping gel. I've all 3 on all types of boards, even the silver drums.

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:00pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks. What about the ribbon on the sides? Can I just hot glue that since it's not technically touching any food and the fondant covering the board won't be eaten?

Can I just put the fondant covered cake directly on the fondant covered board or does it need to be on it's on board to separate the cake and fondant covered board?

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:10pm
post #10 of 12

Water or shortening. I have used both but usually use water.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 11:15pm
post #11 of 12

You can use hot glue as long as it will not show through the ribbon - I have never tried it - I use one of those school glue sticks (called Pritt Stick over here...) all around the edge and then stick the ribbon on.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 11:32pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I use foamcore. I don't use anything to stick the fondant down...

Me, too, but I don't cover the whole board. The cake goes directly on the foam core and then I roll out a strip of fondant to wrap around the base of the cake, covering the board. I use straight pins to hold my ribbon in place.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%