Help! How Do I Know How Much To Charge??

Decorating By stwbrypinacolada Updated 14 Jan 2011 , 8:25pm by indydebi

stwbrypinacolada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stwbrypinacolada Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 1:03am
post #1 of 7

OK, so this is the first time someone is BUYING a cake from me. I posted an ad on Craigslist and someone responded. They want a fondant 3 tier cake, enough to feed 100 ppl. Bavarian cream and white chocolate cake. I live in South Texas if that makes a difference. She sent me a pic of an idea she has. I have no problem making it, but how much is fair? $150? $250? aaaaaagh! Ive made a few cakes before and have donated them to events/friends. I would say I do pretty well with fondant, not a rookie. Pls help.

Thanks!

6 replies
ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 1:23am
post #2 of 7

Call around to the nearest bakeries in your area and go from there.
Where I live that cake would be 600.00
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:51am
post #4 of 7

@ stwbrypinacolada-I'm having the same problem. Someone asked me to do 200 cupcakes (100 with a filling and 100 without) plus a 6inch round cake for their wedding and I have no idea how much to charge them.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 7

I'm confused on why you posted an ad with an offer to sell cakes without having any idea on how much you were going to charge. icon_confused.gif No store opens their doors without having prices on the items on the shelves.

stwbrypinacolada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stwbrypinacolada Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 7

Well, Indydeb, the truth of the matter is that I posted it on a donation only basis. However, this woman insists on me giving her a price. I don't do this for business. I do it because it's fun. And more recently, I'm doing it to pay for long term meds my husband is having to take (he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder). I just don't want people to think I'm taking advantage.

Thanks again for your replies, everyone!! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stwbrypinacolada

Well, Indydeb, the truth of the matter is that I posted it on a donation only basis. However, this woman insists on me giving her a price.

"donation only" is info that I didnt' know based on your original post. Thanks for that info! thumbs_up.gif

I'd be leary of people who "insist" on a price. Never know if they might be a plant trying to trap you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%