Decluttering...

Lounge By TexasSugar Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 2:37pm by TexasSugar

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 3:05pm
post #31 of 39

Cabe, I'm not sure it is that we collect so much. I mean there are issues when we buy alot, and such, but I think another problem is that we just don't know what to do with the stuff.

I am gathering my stuff up for a garage sale. There will be plenty to make one worth it. And thankfully I have an aunt that enjoys doing them, so in the future when I need to get rid of something I can send it to her.

In general when you have a few items that are still 'good' so you don't want to throw them away you really don't know what to do with them. I know there are places like Good Will you can drop things off at. For me though, I never remember to do that.

And so if you really don't know what to do with the extra stuff, it sometimes seems easier just to leave it be, and just add more stuff to it.

Good luck with your husband and the decluttering. I know for me, the actual process of cleaning out has been an eye opener. I know I won't change over night. Even after doing this massive cleaning out I know that I'll always have to keep my guard up. Even though I'm nearing the end of the cleaning process, I'm still having to have the "I might need it, it's still good, I paid good money for that" arguements with myself. They aren't near as bad as they were in the beginning, but I am still dealing with them.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 4:01pm
post #32 of 39

Great job everyone!!

Personally, I'm trying to get DH to start decluttering too. He says he hates clutter, but the man hoards boxes (empty ones) like no one I know!

Two months ago I gave him a clear container, and I rounded up all of his unused electronics, whether they were in boxes or not, and told him he could keep what he could fit into the container, with the lid on, but the rest had to go!

Well, bless his heart, he did a great job. But the damned trashbag full of what he "tossed" is still sitting upstairs, in the hallway, where he left it that day. *headdesk*

I'll be making him add that task to his list of things to do shortly.

Our biggest thing is moving his old desk out of the house (his sister is taking it) and finally organizing the new office area. Then, we can really focus on organizing and finishing up the nursery. I've got less than 60 days, assuming she's on time, and I refuse to try and put a crib in that room with his desk and other crap still in there. Nuh-uh, no way! icon_wink.gif

TexasSugar Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 4:11pm
post #33 of 39

The 'deadline' would help me. I do better with those.

I can also say I'm like your hubby. I've had a couple of bags of stuff to go to the dumpster that have sat in my house for a week or better lately. I have excuses, even a couple that are ligit, like I refuse to go out to the dumpster after dark which was when the bag was full and tied closed. But that doesn't really work for the daylight hours inbetween where I just forget about it or ignore it, then the bag just start blends in and you 'don't see it' any more.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 4:15pm
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

The 'deadline' would help me. I do better with those.

I can also say I'm like your hubby. I've had a couple of bags of stuff to go to the dumpster that have sat in my house for a week or better lately. I have excuses, even a couple that are ligit, like I refuse to go out to the dumpster after dark which was when the bag was full and tied closed. But that doesn't really work for the daylight hours inbetween where I just forget about it or ignore it, then the bag just start blends in and you 'don't see it' any more.

His excuse has been that it's "too heavy" to take down by himself. I know that if it's really too heavy for him, I'm probably not able to help. BUT, my parents will be visiting this weekend, so my dad can help with that. icon_biggrin.gif

There's a bunch of stuff in our garage that is trash that also needs to go. He's slowly throwing those big items away, but when you get charged for anything outside of the provided can...oi.

Anyway, icon_smile.gif Good luck with your decluttering. I'm hoping the nursery will be finished in the next two weeks. icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 4:23pm
post #35 of 39

Hand hima second or third bag and tell him to devide it up into smaller, lighter bags. icon_wink.gif

TexasSugar Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 12:05am
post #36 of 39

I debated posting this since I haven't told but a few people in my life that I did it. I started the blog for many of reasons, mostly for a place to go and talk out stuff for myself. Since cleaning house and decluttering are the main focus right now, that's what the first posts have been about.

I was pretty productive this weekend, so I'm happy about that! icon_smile.gif

http://texassugarsimplytart.blogspot.com/

mama_amy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama_amy Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 5:35am
post #37 of 39

I run on a schedule to declutter. I have specific times to go through certain things.

Twice a year my kids go through their toys. Anything broken gets tossed and anything that doesn't get played with is gotten rid of. They each go through toys about a week before their birthdays and then they all do it right before Christmas.

Once a year we go through every item in our kitchen and get rid of anything that hasn't been used in the past year.

Twice a year go through clothing. I store seasonal clothing itemsitems (shorts, sweaters, coat, etc) in underbed storage during their off-times. I try everything on as I pull it out of storage. If it no longer fits, isn't flattering, or is outdated it's gone. As I put clothing into storage I get rid of anything I didn't wear. I also take the time to try on things that I wear year-round.

After each holiday I go through decorations and get rid of things we didn't use.

MartiW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MartiW Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 12:37pm
post #38 of 39

Off topic but TexasSugar, I've got to tell you how much I'm enjoying your blog. I too have declared this my year and am working on losing weight and de-cluttering. Your idea of storing cake tools in an unused chest is working out great for me. Thanks for the ideas and inspiration.

TexasSugar Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 2:37pm
post #39 of 39

Amy, I'm hoping when I get through, I'll just be able to spot declutter here and there. I can say with less in the house, what is left stands out even more.

Marti, Awww, thank you! I'm glad my ramblings can help and inspire others. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%