Cake Didn\'t Rise

Baking By Perpz Updated 13 Jan 2011 , 3:42am by Navyempress

Perpz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Perpz Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 8

Hello!

I have this chocolate cake recipe and I\\'ve been using since I started baking cakes as I get lots of requests for it and it never seems to fail me...not until last night. I\\'m not sure what happened and where I went wrong. I have substituted the sugar with splenda quite a few times before and it was still good. However, last night, I was very frustrated. The cake didn\\'t rise at all.

Question is, does baking soda and baking powder ever expire? my baking powder is new but the baking soda isn\\'t. The ingredients is as follows:

2 cups of All-purpose flour
1 cup sugar/splenda
1 1/2 tspn baking powder
1 1/2 tspn baking soda
1 tspn salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
1/4 cup chocolate vanilla pudding powder mix
2 eggs
1/2 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cup warm milk
1 1/2 cup warm water
1/2 tbspn vanilla extract

As I live in the mountains, the batter looks thin but it used to be just perfect because of the high altitude effect on cakes.. Now I\\'m quite confused and I don\\'t know what went wrong. I\\'ve tried other chocolate cake recipes and this was the one that worked best for me until lastnight..

7 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 8

yup baking powder and soda expire - more a case of not working than going bad. if you definatly added the right quantities of ingredients, id look to the baking soda.
xx

Perpz Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for that. I had to do another batch last night as I was very confused as to why it didn\\'t rise. the second one was just as bad as the first. Talk about getting frustrated! Even when I was in bed already I still kept thinking about it.

I guess I have to buy another baking soda then! Thank you

Perpz Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 12:56am
post #4 of 8

Bought new baking soda and sadly.. it didn't rise again...
is something wrong with my recipe? I don't understand why it wont work this time.... icon_sad.gif

cakenovice2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenovice2010 Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 1:03am
post #5 of 8

I thought maybe if it had butter it would be the butter was too soft/melted. But since you don't have that I'd question the baking powder...or the warm ingredients?

Perpz Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 3:23am
post #6 of 8

Would warm ingredients do something with the cake? coz I know I've seen some cake recipe that put hot boiling water in it too. I just bought the baking powder before Christmas 2010. icon_sad.gif Kinda frustrating.. I'll try other chocolate cake recipe for now as I really need to have this cake perfect as it is for a well-known man here in our town and he really wants the same cake I made for him and his wife before icon_sad.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 3:32am
post #7 of 8

How warm? I have a couple of recipes that call for the liquid to be 110 degrees, if it is to hot or to cold it won't rise.

Navyempress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navyempress Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 3:42am
post #8 of 8

That recipe looks to have too many liquids.. only 2 cups of flour but 3 cups of water and milk? With such a small amount of flour, you have less gluten. Gluten paired with the leaveners, i.e. baking powder and soda, makes it rise. Perhaps, less liquid and more flour and/or leavener?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%