Freezing Cakes...

Decorating By ConfectionsCC Updated 11 Jan 2011 , 10:37pm by ConfectionsCC

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 6

Oh goodness, so many birthdays over the next week! I was wondering, can I go ahead and bake the cakes all at once and just freeze the ones I need for next weekend? I know I use my freezer all the time for cooling quickly and for cooling to carve, but never have I made a cake a week in advance and froze it..Will it still taste okay if I do? I have had problems in the past with freezing one cake, it collapsed. What is the proper method for thawing a frozen cake? Take it out of the freezer, should it thaw on the counter until room temp, or over night in the refrigerator, and should I remove the seran wrap while thawing, or keep it on? I don't want another cake to collapse and I am scared !!!! icon_cry.gif Most importantly, my daughter's birthday cake is one to need freezing, I want her cake of course perfect...no slouching or collapsing...

5 replies
joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 6

Honestly, I always freeze my cakes, but I've never done it that far in advance. My schedule is usually bake Thursday, wrap in saran wrap, then pop in freezer. Then I pull them out on Friday and carve them immediately, I don't thaw it completely, I find it easier to carve. I do use a denser cake recipe, and have not had any problems with collapsing. I wouldn't see why you couldn't freeze a week in advance, just make sure you have it wrapped very well, and I always make sure I have a fresh baking soda box in my freezer.

ConfectionsCC Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 6

What does the baking soda box do? The only cake I don't make from scratch is my vanilla cake, which is my daughters cake lol! Everything else is scratch, I think it will survive the freeze..but the baking soda?

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 6

A box of baking soda will make sure it doesn't pick up any odors. You can buy special boxes that have a vent on the side, or you can just pop an open box in the freezer. I do the same for my fridge.

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 6

I freeze cakes all the time, sometimes up to week or 2 prior to use. I wrap in Saran wrap and a lot of it, then in a freezer zip loc bag, then in a paper bag.......the paper prevents freezer smell getting into cake.

To thaw.....remove from paper bag but leave in freezer zip loc and Saran wrap. I allow them to thaw totally but I've torte and leveled while still pretty cold (not frozen bc I can't get knife through).

After leveling, torte, filling I wrap in Saran wrap again and set a tile slightly larger than the cake on top. This "smooshes" the air out and helps spread filling equally. So when you ice, no bulges which I find are worse when a cake has been frozen.

HTH

ConfectionsCC Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks! Great tips ya'll!! I have to admit, I am still a little uneasy about freezing them, but there is no way I will have time next week with her party and our friends parties all going on to bake plus decorate! First time I will be this busy, 6 cakes plus a bridal tasting over the course of the next week icon_cry.gif scared hahah! Wish me luck please!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%