Making A New Website, Need Opinions!

Business By motherofgrace Updated 24 Jan 2011 , 2:23pm by leah_s

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 7:31am
post #1 of 18

Hi everyone!

I have started my new website, my professional website, and wanted to see what you guys thought of it so far.

NOT FINISHED! still alot of work, but want to see how it looks half way icon_smile.gif

www.sweetheartconfections.weebly.com

17 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 7:40am
post #2 of 18

Dream It. Bake It. Eat It. (IMHO, it sounds like you're making & keeping the goodies for yourself. Unless your customers help with the baking...)

From a customer's perspective, shouldn't this be: Dream It. Order It. Eat It?
Like: Dream It. Order It. Enjoy It. a bit more.

HTH

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 8:59am
post #3 of 18

Tell them up front about the shipping cost. It is extremely irritating to have to go through the ordering process just to find out the shipping. Once they find out and think it is too much, they just delete it and they are left with a negative feeling about your business.

Good luck on your new venture.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 18

I recommend including more information on your home page...think of it like the "above the fold" section of a newspaper, you want to do everything you can to sell your business by highlighting your competitive advantages.

motherofgrace Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 18

ok thanks everyone!

motherofgrace Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 18

ok i added in the shipping, and changed the home page a bit. Let me know what you think

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 10:26pm
post #7 of 18

I'm also doing a site on weebly - very easy to use! Can you tell me how you got the "Find us on Facebook" badge? I've tried to use the "like" badge off of FB itself but I like the one's I see that are larger like you have! thanks

Looks good btw icon_smile.gif Can't wait to see the finished results

jason_kraft Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 10:34pm
post #8 of 18

You can probably still consolidate the different pages quite a bit...for example: content from the Market Menu, Custom Menu, and Sucker of the Month would easily fit on the home page if you made the slideshow smaller and cut back on the existing copy. In fact, you may just want to remove the slideshow from the home page and instead include small pictures of each product next to where they are listed.

An important goal in commercial web design is to minimize the number of clicks it takes for customers to find out what you sell and how/where they can purchase your products. This information should be readily available in clear copy as soon as the customer loads the site. A few examples of missing info: your location, what your hours are, whether or not you have a retail shop, your phone number, which markets sell your products, etc.

motherofgrace Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 10:42pm
post #9 of 18

Bturpin- I had a friend do that for me, I will find out icon_smile.gif

Jason- Thanks alot! I will see what I can do icon_smile.gif

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 10:52pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sweetheart-

Bturpin- I had a friend do that for me, I will find out icon_smile.gif

Awesome! Thank you!

motherofgrace Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 11:15pm
post #11 of 18

no problem!

Britt-K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britt-K Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 5:10pm
post #12 of 18

I am a graphic designer and here are my tips on things to change:

On the gallery page - change the font, I know you're going for whimsical, but having too many fonts is distracting. Choose something a little bit more professional looking.

Gallery Photos - I don't know if you took these yourself or are having someone else take the pictures. They aren't too bad, but they could look a lot more professional. I think when offering an edible item the photo quality helps tremendously - if it looks homemade it makes people feel like it isn't as good of quality.

I also agree that you need to have a page with information about you and your business - a little more detailed. I know you have a faq page, but I think it'd help alot to have it on the main, home page.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 8:38am
post #13 of 18

Typo... THAN the corner store (on FAQ page). Maybe I missed it, but where is the shipping?

motherofgrace Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 8:47am
post #14 of 18

there is no shipping, I only sell at farmers markets and trade shows

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 8:45pm
post #15 of 18

My advice is to not use weebly or any free web hosting. This is an instance of getting exactly what you pay for. Free hosting means that you share server space with a gazillion other free websites. You have more downtime than if you use a paid service. GoDaddy has a small package that's $5 a month and you get better uptime guarantees. I host one of my sites on web.com and several others on GoDaddy and one on Wordpress. If you're going to go the WP route, you'll still need to pay them for the dedicated domain, and really should buy the no ads package. And that's about the same cost as the GoDaddy small hosting package.

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 8:57pm
post #16 of 18

I use weebly and have no problems whatsoever. Most people that look at my website compliment me on how nice it looks and I've never had any downtime or anything. Its great for someone who computer illiterate, I found GoDaddy too confusing.

jason_kraft Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 9:30pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy42088

I use weebly and have no problems whatsoever. Most people that look at my website compliment me on how nice it looks and I've never had any downtime or anything. Its great for someone who computer illiterate, I found GoDaddy too confusing.

The problem with downtime is that you aren't necessarily aware of it. Unless you happen to be accessing your web site during the period of downtime, you have no idea how many customers you missed because your hosting provider was down.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:23pm
post #18 of 18

ditto Jason. Unless you're running another program that monitors your page loading speeds and downtown you simply have no idea.

GoDaddy's WebSite Tonight is a bit confusing, but doable. Their hosting is cheap, and they can have downtown issues also.

You really do get what you pay for in hosting.

http://www.marketingtobridesonline.com/common-internet-marketing-mistakes-2-cheap-hosting/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%