Tappitts

Decorating By pastryqueen9 Updated 11 Jan 2011 , 9:25pm by pastryqueen9

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 2:28am
post #1 of 18

I feel like such a "duh" for asking this question but icon_redface.gif what is a Tappitt? icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

17 replies
cakemeech201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemeech201 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 2:40am
post #2 of 18

it's a brand of mold for fondant (or gumpaste) letters and numbers :p

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 3:31am
post #4 of 18

Thanks for the link...but are they cutters or molds?

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 3:38am
post #5 of 18

they are cutters. I have the funky upper case & lower case and the block letters. They are tricky to use at first but totally worth it I think, especially the funky ones look so cute on cakes!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 3:44am
post #6 of 18

omg I hate tappits......they are so impossible.....I will never play with those things again

LogansMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LogansMommie Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 4:01am
post #7 of 18

I agree they look awesome (people request the lettering all the time) - they are a bit tricky to get used to, but I LOVE them now!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 4:28am
post #8 of 18

I love my tappits. Edna has the best tutorial video on you tube. The fondant or gumpaste should not be too thick or soft.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 9:01am
post #9 of 18

They can be very frustrating until you get used to them, but once you get the hang of them they are great.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 10:33am
post #10 of 18

i think they are sooooo worth it icon_biggrin.gif i cant pipe writing to save my life . . .my handwriting on paper isnt bad, but when its on a cake, it looks like i scraweled it with my foot lol!!! tappits give you an instant good look, funky, smart, upper and lower case as well as numbers.

You just need to make sure you use gumpaste or petal paste with them, and roll it out nice and thin. Some people suggest placing a sheet on clingflim over the paste, before pressing the cutter into it the paste doesnt actually get stuck in the cutter. But i prefer to just do it the normal way icon_smile.gif although, you do have to be a little firm with them, i have snapped quite a few from getting over firm when trying to get a letter out lol!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 11:03am
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caths_Cakes

i think they are sooooo worth it icon_biggrin.gif i cant pipe writing to save my life . . .my handwriting on paper isnt bad, but when its on a cake, it looks like i scraweled it with my foot lol!!!!

Hahahahahaha..... Yeah, I know the feeling... Mine can be up or down hill or in different directions..

pastryqueen9 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 3:55pm
post #12 of 18

Thanks everybody!

Are the Windsor clickits that much more easier to use than the tappitts and if so what is the difference because the lettering seems to be almost identical. I'm trying to decide whether to buy tappitts or the Windor clickets.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 4:00pm
post #13 of 18

I have both and the Windsors are easier. So much faster!!!

SSGirly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SSGirly Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 4:30pm
post #14 of 18

I hate mine. They are impossible to use as others have said. I vowed never again...

Mommyofseven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommyofseven Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 5:28pm
post #15 of 18

I just recently purchased the Windsor Clikstix. So much easier for me to use. In fact my tappits are heading to ebay. I love the look of the tappits but found them hard to use. The Windsor Clikstix provide a great look too with much less effort on my part.

pastryqueen9 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 6:34pm
post #16 of 18

Ok...mind's made up...Windsor Clixters it is. I may still try the tappitts but at a later date...Thanks Again ccers! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 7:21pm
post #17 of 18

The only tappits I would invest in would be the Funky ones because they are so unique. When I break down and use them I add Wilton gum tex to my fondant and roll it out thin and let it set for a while before I try to make the letters.

pastryqueen9 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 9:25pm
post #18 of 18

Thanks All4Show! That sounds like great advice. I will be sure to use this method when I use the tappitts, and I agree the funky tappitts are really nice. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%