How To Build Center Support For Cake

Decorating By ConfectionsCC Updated 10 Jan 2011 , 3:36pm by ibmoser

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 6

I am wanting to make a "Tangled" theme cake for a friends daughter's birthday next week, but I may be in over my head! My idea, 8in cake on bottom, then a center support suspending a 4 in cake, that would be the tower. The bottom decorated like the "forest". I am trying to figure out how people on these tv shows create these center supports and suspend the cakes the way they do lol!I planned to cover the pole in RKT, then BC over that to match the rest of the tower. I want a figure sticking her head out of the "window" with her hair flowing to the bottom. I hope I have described this enough to give you all a good visual lol! Sorry its so long! I need help building this, what kind of rod to use, anything??

5 replies
sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 6

Others probably have a better idea, but I think that wilton sells a plate system with a center support that might work. I don't know the length of the center rod, so I guess I'm not really helping at all. icon_smile.gif You can see it here: http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30BB93-475A-BAC0-52555DC793C1FEC1&fid=3E33109F-475A-BAC0-514197B5E889D67F

Christy

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 6

If your weight is going to up and suspended, I would start with a flange, screwed to the base. (Base would be plywood) Put your PVC/metal pole into that. then a coupler and a base for the cake to sit on. (plywood, masonite, acrylic) Then build as you would normally. We need Doug with is great visual aids!!! icon_biggrin.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 6

Okay - I'm oooold and clueless about Tangled icon_lol.gif , but a 4" cake won't be very heavy (I'm assuming you mean a little 4" diameter cake here). I would use plywood or masonite for the base cake board, attach a flange and put an appropriate length of 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC pipe in the flange to lift the 4" cake, but that little tower would probably be fine with the flange just hot-glued to a cake drum . Hot glue a foamcore round of the proper size on top of the pvc for the tower cake after you have placed the 8" cake over the support, and place the little cake on that. You can cut out a hole in the little foamcore board the size of your PVC pipe so that the foamcore fits around the PVC for extra stability - or even allow the PVC to extend up into the tower (but not come all the way out of the top) for additional security. Clear as mud?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 6

WOW - great minds!!!!! thumbs_up.gif Tangled is 2010/2011 version of Rapunzel.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 6

Yes - posting about the same time, both wishing for Doug's visual aids LOL! Thanks for the explanation of Tangled icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%