Adding Fruit To Cake Batter... How To Get It Really Fruity?

Baking By raxxy Updated 9 Jan 2011 , 8:27pm by raxxy

raxxy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raxxy Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 2:25am
post #1 of 3

I found a recipefor lychee cake, tried it, but it came out tasting like an ordinary better cake. Then i tried again using a cake mix, and substituting the water with the liquid in the tin of lychees. I also added about 8 oz of lychees cut into pieces, but the cake only had a slight lychee flavour. How do i get the cake to taste really fruity? do i have to blend the lychees into a puree, or boil it with sugar or something? Please help me!!

2 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:32am
post #2 of 3

You probably need a lychee puree to get the amount of flavor you want in the cake.

My question for you is, wouldn't it be easier to use the puree in the frosting? You can get more flavor to come out of the frosting than you can out of the cake.

And would you please send me the recipe you're working with? I love lychee, and wouldn't mind having a go at it myself.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

raxxy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raxxy Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks Theresa icon_smile.gif But if I'm using a cake mix, how much of the fruit puree should i use, and what other ingredients should I add or not add? should i replace all the water with the puree? should i use less oil? Should the baking temperature be reduced? Please help.

Here's the recipe i found that I didn't like

Lychee Butter Cake
1- 14 oz can lychees (about 1 cup lychees, reserve the liquid)
2 cups (240g) flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (160g) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup (160 g) sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x8 baking pan.
Drain the lychees and cut into small pieces; set aside.
Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl and set aside.
In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together on medium speed for several minutes until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs, one at a time, and then the vanilla. Mix to combine.
Add in about 4 -6 tablespoons of the reserved lychee liquid slowly. Mix between additions to fully incorporate before adding more.
Toss the lychee pieces in the flour mixture to coat (this will help keep them from sinking to the bottom of the batter).
Add flour and lychee mixture to the batter and mix to combine.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 30-45 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack before serving.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%