Train Tracks

Decorating By shady_twist Updated 8 Jan 2011 , 9:07pm by cakesrock

shady_twist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shady_twist Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all

Can anyone tell me the best way to make train tracks like on this cake?

http://cakeboxsoc.blogspot.com/2010/08/train-cake.html

Thanks
ST
icon_smile.gif

10 replies
boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 11:14am
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shady_twist

Hi all

Thanks
ST
icon_smile.gif

Do you have a sugarcraft gun?
You can cut out the wooden bits with a knife, texture them, and let them dry a little (you can do them out of fondant or gumpaste), then lay them down around the cake, and do the black part with a sugarcraft gun.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonenati

Quote:

Hi all

Thanks
ST
icon_smile.gif

Do you have a gun?
You can cut out the wooden bits with a knife, texture them, and let them dry a little (you can do them out of fondant or gumpaste), then lay them down around the cake, and do the black part with a gun.

that is exactly how I would do it....

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 11

Not sure what keeps getting blocked but any extruder will work to create that long piece. If you don't have an extruder then just make a really skinny snake by rolling the fondant back and forth. Use a cardboard cake round to make your circle perfect! HTH

shady_twist Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 11

yeah, strange that that one word was blocked! I haven't got an extruder yet because I've seen some really bad reviews about using them with fondant. They said that its really hard to push the fondant through and the results are poor. Have you had better luck then? Can you recommend a make?

Thanks
ST
icon_smile.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 11

I made the tracks on my Thomas cake as the previous post described. I cut the "wooden ties" from a piece of brown fondant. I have a woodgrain mat, so I rolled out the fondant, used the impression mat to make the woodgrain look and then cut the ties to the size I needed. I spaced them evenly on the cake (You can use a little piping gel or water if you want to glue them in place, but it doesn't take much. If you use too much water it can cause the color in your fondant to weep.) I then used my extruder to make the rails and glued them to the ties. Good luck with your project.

Edited to add: There a different types of extruders. I like the red & black sugargun like the one sold by Sharon Zambito, I also have the one that is made by Walnut Hollow. They are both very good. Alot of people on this board like the green one made by Makins that can be found in the clay section at AC Moore or Michaels. I think the one people complain about the most is the little silver one also found in the clay section. It uses a plunger to push the fondant through and it hurts your hand. When you are using any of the extruders you should add a fair amount of shortening to your fondant to make it soft. It would come out of the extruder much easier.

Skirt Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 2:45pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price

Edited to add: There a different types of extruders. I like the red & black sugargun like the one sold by Sharon Zambito, I also have the one that is made by Walnut Hollow. They are both very good. Alot of people on this board like the green one made by Makins that can be found in the clay section at AC Moore or Michaels. I think the one people complain about the most is the little silver one also found in the clay section. It uses a plunger to push the fondant through and it hurts your hand. When you are using any of the extruders you should add a fair amount of shortening to your fondant to make it soft. It would come out of the extruder much easier.

I had the silver one. Ouch, it hurts your hand unless your fondant is really really soft (like Duff's from Michaels). I got the makins one for my birthday. Love love love it!!!!!!

Skirt Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 2:53pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:

Oh yeah! Now, the one Sharon from SugarEd sells seems to be the best but it is $45 vs $25 here in the U.S. A big difference for a hobby baker icon_surprised.gif

shady_twist Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:43pm
post #10 of 11

I've just ordered the green Makins one icon_smile.gif

Thanks for your help everyone icon_smile.gif

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 9:07pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:

yeah, strange that that one word was blocked! I haven't got an extruder yet because I've seen some really bad reviews about using them with fondant. They said that its really hard to push the fondant through and the results are poor. Have you had better luck then? Can you recommend a make?

Thanks
ST
icon_smile.gif

I bought a sugar*craft gun (I put the * in hopes it won't be blocked) and I love it! I think I got if from Global Sugar art. Anyway, I see you ordered one already...
Tip: if you grease the barrel part with crisco, it's much easier to move the fondant through. I have used fondant mixed with tylose and gumpaste with ease, as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%