What Cake Tins To Buy?? Please Help!

Decorating By QuiteContraryCakes Updated 7 Jan 2011 , 8:47pm by pmarks0

QuiteContraryCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QuiteContraryCakes Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 11

Hey everyone...Happy New Year!
I have recently just started my own cake decorating business and have been using a random selection of old cake tins! As its my 30th birthday on Friday, i have been given some money to buy a set of cake tins...now a little confused on which ones to buy.....how anyone got any suggestions please?
Thank you in advance!!
Mary xoxoxoxox

10 replies
wwtoolong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wwtoolong Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 11

I love my Wilton pans. I wait till I get a coupon for Michael's (they will take JoAnns coupons there too) and buy them there. I bought the square and circle sets and others on an as needed basis.

QuiteContraryCakes Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 11

Thank you, i have just had the same answer on my facebook, so i am going to take your advice!
Happy Baking! xx icon_smile.gif

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 11

Lots and lots of people on here would recommend Magic Line or Fat Daddio's over Wilton pans. I use PME pans, which are actually made by Fat Daddio's (easier for me to buy where I am than ML).

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 11

Hi there Well i Love wilton pans but i have to say i Love magic linee And fat dittios better. wilton is great but they seem to bent easy (i accidently dropped one and now has like a semi visible crease that doesnt ruin the cake but the crease is there and it does bother me) The others are of better quality thetas all. Yet i use all of them .

good luck deciding

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 11

I have a pan from Wilton (that I accidentally bought because I thought it was a Fat Daddio's pan), a number of pans from Fat Daddio's, and a number of Magic Line pans that I got for Christmas. Magic Line wins - not only because they look so much better, but my cakes seem to come out better and more level in the Magic Line pans. I'm going to be buying Magic Line pans going forward and gradually phasing out my others.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 11

If you're going into business, I would buy the best you can afford. Many people like Fat Daddios, and other's like Magic Line. I just invested in a set of square and a set of round (6/8/10/12/14) of Magic Line. I was undecided about ML or FD and asked here as well. I have used Wilton pans, but I find that, for the square pans especially, the sides aren't straight and the top edges are rounded. If a pan nests in one the same size as itself then the sides are not straight. There's nothing more frustratiing than working with layers that don't sit perfectly on top of another and then having to even out the sides.

QuiteContraryCakes Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 8:11pm
post #8 of 11

Aww thank you so much! I have been looking into the Magicline ones and am struggling to find a supplier in the UK!
I think rather than having to replace cheaper ones down the line, its better to buy the best ones now!
Is it true these pans keep the cakes level?
xxxx

QuiteContraryCakes Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 8:23pm
post #9 of 11
sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 8:36pm
post #10 of 11

in my experience, the MLine pans result in a more level cake. so less to cut off when levelling. i have both wilton and fat daddio. wish i had just invested in all ML from the beginning. there would have been so much savings in the long run

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 8:47pm
post #11 of 11

I think the price for the set is reasonable.

I bought mine at www.fondantsource.com [the url gets blocked for some reason) just before Christmas. They sell the pans individually, rather than as a set and with the 10% discount they offer with the coupon code cakecentral[/b:61ac26c5dc], it definitely cheaper. I just added up their individual 2" pans in the sizes in your set and got US$35.15 before the 10% discount. Even the 3" pans in those sizes costs $40.85 before the discount.

The only thing is that the the 10x2 pan and the 12x3 pans are currently out of stock. You could contact them and see if they are expecting them soon if you were going to order from them. Because I had the same issue (I needed the 12x3 round and the 10x3 square), I ordered those two pans from GlobalSugarArt instead.

Someone in the UK asked about getting ML pans last year - here's the link - http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-665094-0-days0-orderasc-.html&sid=2da3fb9ebadc04ef59f17f428ce75964

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%