Help With Fillings In A Fondant Covered Cake?

Decorating By Tink1016 Updated 6 Jan 2011 , 3:33am by leily

Tink1016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tink1016 Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 1:16am
post #1 of 5

When you all are adding all these yummy fillings to your cakes, do you automatically refrigerate them? (I'm thinking of mousse's and stuff). What do you do when you have a fondant covered cake that can't do into the fridge? Do you just make sure to add a really simple filling to it?

I am making a fondant covered wedding cake in a few weeks and she wanted a chocolate mousse filling but I won't be able to refrigerate it because it's covered in fondant, and because the cake will be too big. Can someone please help me? I am really new to wedding cakes (I've only made one) and need some help!

4 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 1:40am
post #2 of 5

fondant can be refridgerated. It will accumulate some moisture on it as it comes to room temp, jsut don't touch it so you don't smudge it. Some bring to room temp in a box so that the moisture forms on the box instead of the cake.

JackieDryden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackieDryden Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 1:42am
post #3 of 5

I have refrigerated fondant cakes. I make a train and tractor carved cake covered in fondant and since I do it after my "real job" I can't just work on it all one day start to finish. You just have to wrap it well, but also COMPLETELY unwrap it as soon as you take it out. If you are in a cooler climate it won't sweat. I did do my first train cake at the end of July for my friends son, and I took it out of the fridge, unwrapped in, put it in a box, covered it-and the place they were having the party(a train shop) had no A/C. They put a fan on it because it was sweating so bad! If it won't fit in the fridge, I would ask if they want a different filling, at least in some of the tiers. Even if it didn't have fondant, you would still want to refrigerate it-I would think with the mousse. But I am kinda new still.

Tink1016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tink1016 Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 1:54am
post #4 of 5

Ok. So I shouldn't stack until delivery. Hmmm... but then what do you do about the fact that you deliver in the am and the cake won't be eaten until the reception in the evening? So the filling will be out all day??

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 3:33am
post #5 of 5

you tell the client that the cake can't be out for more than 3 to 4 hours before serving and you deliver accordingly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%