Long Neck On A Cake?

Decorating By Bskinne Updated 18 Jan 2011 , 7:59pm by Karen421

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 8

So, after swearing off cakes for a few months after a TT disaster, i've been asked to do a giraffe cake. I will be making the body out of either a ball pan or carved 8" round, and his legs/neck/head out of RKT. The giraffe is sitting so the legs aren't an issue but the neck is skinny and has to support the weight of the head. Should I build the neck around a PVC pipe or something? Also, this will be my first attempt with RKT, so any helpful tips on that would be appreciated.
TIA!

7 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 8

Yes, his neck will need to be built around a support (strong dowel or PVC) anchored to the board. I would use a flange screwed into the cake board (masonite or plywood) to support the pvc pipe. I have not had the best luck with using RKT - the humidity here tends to soften the RKT even when I coat with melted chocolate. I have better results using modeling chocolate (or candy clay) instead. Learned that tip from Bronwen's standing clown sculpture class but had to test it on my own icon_redface.gif .

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 8
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 8

Good to have you back! I agree a dowel secured to a plywood base. I drill a hole in the base and insert the dowel into it. For the neck of my Jack bottle I used cake. I cut out the cake with a round cutter and cut a smaller a hole in the middle to slide over the dowel. Every 4", I used skewers for the support underneath. I used buttercream in-between the layers and ganache on the outside to crumb coat it. Once the ganache firmed up, it was very strong and stable. Good Luck!! icon_smile.gif

Bskinne Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 3:54pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks y'all! So, my other question is how would I attach the head to the neck securely? Just ram the pipe into it? I'm getting excited to do this cake but I just really don't want another disaster!!

Bskinne Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

These should give you some sort of an idea

http://www.flickr.com/photos/schmish/5120088085/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/schmish/5131955456/

Wow, those are awesome. My giraffe is more cartooney to match baby shower decorations, my head will be more like an oval than anything else..... icon_smile.gif

Bskinne Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 7:54pm
post #7 of 8

So, I wanted to say thanks for all the help and inspiration! The cake came out beautifully, and without any accidents...it was sooooo smooth that I really was waiting for a large disaster!!! I enjoyed working with RKT for the first time. If you are interested, the pic is now in my gallery at http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1916473 .
Thanks again!!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 8

OH - it came out adorable!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%