Fondant Cakeboards

Decorating By BlueMoon73 Updated 22 Feb 2011 , 1:40am by BlueMoon73

BlueMoon73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueMoon73 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 7

OK, so I tried covering a cake board in fondant awhile ago and had a hard time keeping it neat, fingerprint free, etc. I need all the experts on here to share the secrets with me!! How do you do it?

6 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 7

Roll out your fondant larger than the cakeboard you want to cover. Gently place your cakeboard down on top of the rolled fondant and trim about an inch larger than the cake board. Lift cakeboard and apply piping gel to at least the outter edge (I cover the whole cakeboard) and place it gel side down on the fondant, pushing a little to be sure it adheres well. Put a little piping gel on the edge of the board and the now top of the cake board and gently fold the fondant up and over the edge of the cakeboard. Once you are done, turn the entire piece, mat and all, over and gently peel off the fondant mat. Your fondant should still be as smooth as it was on the mat.

DianneandBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianneandBrad Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 12:34am
post #3 of 7

This helped me cover a cakeboard when I didn't have enough fondant to cover the whole board and it worked great!

[/url]

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 12:38am
post #4 of 7

I smear the cake board with vegetable shortening, roll out a piece of fondant a bit larger than the board, pick up the fondant on my rolling pin, apply to the board, cut away the excess with a paring knife or offset spatula blade, and smooth with my fondant smoother.

If I'm feeling frugal, I cut out the center of the fondant where the cake will sit and save it for another go. If I'm feeling lazy, I leave it.

In the ideal world, I allow the board to set up and dry for several days before putting the cake on it. After the cake is applied, if I have other work to do, I shield the fondant with some saran or wax paper.

If I don't have time to wait for it to dry, I put the cake on board and apply a fondant "bandage" around it and hide the seam with a decoration.

Rae

BlueMoon73 Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 1:21am
post #5 of 7

Thank you!! I learn alot on you tube!! And from all of you!

wvfunchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wvfunchick Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 7

I need to figure out how to make a cake board? Is it simply a thick wood cut into the shape and size you need? If so what is the best type of wood to use?

BlueMoon73 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 1:40am
post #7 of 7

I just use the foam poster board, like 3 of them together. If its a larger cake I will use something stronger, like wood. I just go to Lowes and they cut it down for me, cheaper to buy a larger piece. I've also used tempered glass. These get kinda heavy though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%