Freezing Tiers For Future Wedding Cake

Decorating By MissyTex Updated 31 Dec 2010 , 6:04pm by CWR41

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 7

I work full time, so when I have a big cake to do I need to get as much as I can done ahead of time. I am making a wedding cake for a friend for Sat Feb 19, 5 tiers, all BC. I have scheduled to be off the Friday before. I was thinking about frosting all the tiers and freezing them in separate cake boxes wrapped well in plastic wrap and foil. That way I could start on them now and they would be all frosted and ready for decoration, remove them from the freezer on Tuesday night before the wedding and work on them Wed, Thurs and Friday. What do you think of this plan? I think they would be fine, but since its a wedding cake I dont want to screw it up.

I froze a cake for this same friend when her DDs birthday party fell on a weekend I was going out of town. She kept it in her freezer and thawed it the night before. She said it was fine.

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 12:19am
post #2 of 7

You're going to bake now? Six weeks or so early?

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 1:26am
post #3 of 7

I don't generally freeze for longer than a week, and then only plain cake wrapped in three layers of cling film and a freezer bag with all air extracted. I don't freeze frosted cakes.

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 1:28am
post #4 of 7

Baking and freezing plain cake layers I could see....but frosting them??? I just couldn't bring myself to do that. Someone can go to walmart for that. Fresh is best and it's the only way I bake. Best of luck to you and your bride.

cakerookie8915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerookie8915 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 4:51am
post #5 of 7

I am not an expert but I have young children and the only way for me to get a cake completed is to do things in advance. I bake and crumbcoat a week or two in advance and then I start to finish the cake a couple of days before it's due. I have never tried freezing a cake for so far in advance. But my system seems to work and no one has said it tastes like "frozen"cake. Perhaps bake a layer a night, the week before to avoid the cake being frozen for too long. Good luck to you!

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you for your replies. The feedback here at CC is priceless! I decided against freezing the frosted cakes, so I revised the plan. I will take 2 days off work instead of just 1. I am so busy at work during the 1st qtr and didnt want to take more than 1 day. But I can always work late the next week. The weekend before I will do general prep work, prepare boards, make icing, bake and freeze the layers. Then I can thaw on Tuesday night and start on Wed night. That will give me all day Thursday and Friday. Sound better?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyTex

Then I can thaw on Tuesday night and start on Wed night. That will give me all day Thursday and Friday. Sound better?

Whatever you have to do to make sure the cake is the freshest it can be without freezing iced tiers sounds better to me.

If you start on Wednesday night, I assume that means ice and setup. Do you really need all day Thursday and Friday to decorate an all BC 5-tiered cake? I would think you could do it in a lot less time than two days if you didn't want to take off work for an extra day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%