Satin Ice Fondant

Decorating By crkrjax_76 Updated 30 Dec 2010 , 6:11am by Lizzard1

crkrjax_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crkrjax_76 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 11

I am wanting to buy some Satin Ice for my son's 4th birthday. I have tried and tried to make both MMF and MFF and have not have much success. It seems like it's always too sticky or not flexible enough. So, instead of wasting so much time and money doing that, I wanted to try Satin Ice as I've heard it's much better than Wilton Rolled Fondant. My question is, can I buy a tub of white and color it? I'm sure that's a very silly question, but I haven't had any experience with this type of fondant. I'm going to make Patrick from Spongebob and didn't want to buy pink, purple and green fondant.

10 replies
QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 11

Yes, you can color Satin Ice just fine. I've used Wilton paste colors and Americolor gels. I prefer the Americolors, but either work fine. The only caution I'd give you is that if you're going for deep, dark colors Satin Ice can tend to get sticky. I needed hot pink once and it was a nightmare. I had to mix other fondant with it to get it to where I could actually cover a cake with it. Good luck!

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 11

Yes you can color it! I had the same exact situation. I was making MMF and was wasting money because it never turned out right, never held up to coloring. The beautiful thing about satin ice is they also sell pre-colored fondant like black and red which are a NIGHTMARE to try and color no matter what fondant you use! I buy the white fondant by the 20lbs bucket, and buy the black and red by the 10lbs buckets, and color every thing else with americolor gel colors. It can get sticky if adding a lot of color, just sprinkle the surface very very lightly with powdered sugar, and remember to keep shortening on your hands to help keep it from drying out, even while mixing. I usually add a little extra shortening to it anyways because it does dry quickly! The absolute best decision I feel I have made since I started decorating; buying satin ice!!

Mothersuperior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mothersuperior Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 11

I usually only use Satin Ice, however the past 2 times I bought it, it was a bit dry, both the white and black. Recently I used Duff Goldmans fondant (black and red) and it was fantastic, a bit more expensive but worth it.
Bought Duffs at Michaels, the Satin Ice I usually order from Intotheoven.com or Globalsugarart.com.

Good luck!

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 11

I've never tried satin ice but swear by MMF, I use it for everything although I have found that if I add too much icing sugar initially then it is too hard to roll out. If you microwave it for a few seconds it should become more supple.

DaphneSUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaphneSUE Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 11

im telling you the mmf recipe i use is amazing...very pliable, workable, and tasty...

golfwidow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfwidow Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 11

Yes you can color it. However, I no longer use Satin Ice. Its way too dry & had a hard time covering cakes with it. I absolutely love Duff's fondant. Yes, it is a bit pricey, but wait for a coupon & purchase it at Michael's. Not only is it a dream to work with, it is the most delicious fondant I have ever tasted. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

crkrjax_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crkrjax_76 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 9:42pm
post #8 of 11

What recipe are you using DaphneSUE? I'm up for new recipes!

DaphneSUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaphneSUE Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 4:44am
post #9 of 11

1/2 cup shortening
2lb. powdered sugar, sifted
16oz. marshmallows
3tbs. water(two tbs. and 1tbs. flavoring if you wish to flavor)

put water in a microwave safe bowl along with the marshmallows, microwave for 2 min. Add shortening, and sifted PS to the bowl of a stand mixer(KA works best or any with a dough hook), add softened marshmallows. start mixing, you will want to not put the head of the mixer all the way down at first, hold it up a little so that for 1. the marshmallows don't work their way over the hook and 2. the powdered sugar doesn't fly everywhere. as it starts to mix and thicken a little...knock down the PS...if you want to color do it now, you can color after but it is a little messier, but whatever you prefer...once your ingredients are worked together pretty good...take a little shortening...not much maybe a tbs. at the most...and smear over your work area, you want to keep it a thin coat so wipe off some if you need to, then you want to pour your dough onto the work area and use your sifter and add a little bit more PS on top of the dough and work area and begin to knead...don't over work once it is starting to firm up good enough to where you can hold it in your hand without it loosing shape...wrap it up and let it come back to room temp before rolling.

also you will want to knead again before you roll your fondant...

this is what i do and it works great...hth all of you that are having trouble

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 5:47am
post #10 of 11

I love Satin Ice, and use it all the time. I do buy the red and black, because it's just much easier than trying to get that color. I tried the Duffs (Fondarific), while it taste good, it is too soft for sculpting, making bows, etc. Great for covering a cake, but I will stick with my Satin ice for all cut outs, figures, bows, etc.

Lizzard1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzard1 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 6:11am
post #11 of 11

I use Satin Ice and I love it! I make my own MMF too but for convenience sometimes I like to buy it! Its pricey but so conveient and it is pretty tastey compared to wilton icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%