Trying Indydebi's For 1St Time - Have To Substitute Milk

Baking By MollyGirl_17 Updated 29 Dec 2010 , 6:38am by MollyGirl_17

MollyGirl_17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyGirl_17 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 4:57am
post #1 of 6

I am all geared up to try IndyDebi's buttercream tonight, only to discover my husband's milk has turned bad icon_surprised.gif . Has anyone ever tried it with soy milk? I have silk organic unsweetend (plain). I guess it's either that or water I guess! My first frosting recipe with milk and its midnight and I don't have any milk..go figure, right? icon_lol.gif BTW this is just to try, I'm not making anything in particular.

5 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 5:32am
post #2 of 6

I'd wait and make the recipe as written. icon_smile.gif

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 5:43am
post #3 of 6

Most definitely wait as JanH suggested. My rule of thumb when trying a new recipe whether it is cake related or something else is to make as written and then make modifications if I want to try it again. If something goes wrong you can more easily pinpoint what and correct the next go around. It always amazes me when people rate/review a recipe as bad or not liking it and then list how they modified it.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 6:10am
post #4 of 6

You can substitute, it will be fine. Alot of people use water instead, but I suggest milk or half n half. If you aren't in a rush to make it for a cake, I would wait. Or if you just want to experiment, go for it!!! What do you have to loose, except some ingredients.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 6:13am
post #5 of 6

i would most definetly wait for the milk. It makes a huge difference in the taste. hth

MollyGirl_17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyGirl_17 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 6:38am
post #6 of 6

I definitely agree it will taste differently with milk vs water...but it's my only night off work this week and I am just too excited to wait. This is my first time getting to "play cakes" since we moved into our house 8 MONTHS ago!! And you never know, if I like it with water even better ~ I'm lactose intollerant! Off to the kitchen I go!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%