Elephant Skin!!

Decorating By cakeastic Updated 28 Dec 2010 , 4:12pm by Loucinda

cakeastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeastic Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 5

Elephant skin occurs almost every time when i want to cover a cake with fondant. What do you think is the problem, I always keep it wraped. And what is the "cure" for it when you have it on a cake? Thanks icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 5

There really isn't a cure for it once it is on the cake. You can use a smoother and try to smooth it out, but it never gets it quite right.

Kneading and then kneading some more is the only way I have gotten the fondant smooth. Maybe others will chime in with their ways of making it work.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 7:13am
post #3 of 5

I find that the more I've kneaded the fondant before rolling it out, the more likely I am to get elephant skin, I'm guessing that would be because the fondant dries out a bit as I'm handling it - ? I've started using a mat to roll the fondant out on, then just pick that up, flip it on to the cake and peel the mat off, which leaves what was the underneath of the fondant (which hasn't dried out while rolling) as the top surface on the cake - I don't get any elephant skin doing it this way.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 8:44am
post #4 of 5

Recently I've been adding a few drops of glycerine to mine. Seems to help with it not drying out so fast, and doesn't make it sticky at all. I didn't really pay attention to see if it helped with elephant skin. I just try to work quickly.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 5

I definately use a mat, I never have any problems with elephant skin either. I also only use shortning to roll it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%