Attach Pearls To Ribbon Bow? / Lid On Present Cake

Decorating By 11carol Updated 26 Dec 2010 , 7:39pm by 11carol

11carol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11carol Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 12:03pm
post #1 of 11

Hi,

I am looking to make a ribbon like this one. I am just wodering do I let the bows dry and then attach the pearls or what is the process? I would appreciate some help. Also wondering how to make a closed present cake?

Ok I am having trouble attaching on picture of ribbon but it is a ribbon bow with a pearl edge I am looking to make.

Thanks
Carol

10 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 11

I assume you are making the bow/ribbon out of gumpaste or fondant? If so, I would make the bow and ribbon, then make small indentations with the small end of a ball tool (or something around the same size as the pearls you will be using) while the gumpaste is still soft. The indentations will help you stick the pearls on because they have somewhere to "sit", and they should stick fine with vodka or edible glue.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 11

I would wait for the bow to harden then attach the pearls with sugar glue. If you have time buy the Zambito boxes and bows DVD. This will show you how to do all the boxes open and closed and the bow you are looking for. Great DVD, very helpful. hth

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 11

I just take a small paintbrush, dip in water, put a small amount of water on the gumpaste or fondant and you attach the pearls at any stage of the game!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 11

The fastest way is to attach the pearls, using the CK mold, as it has a small flat edge that can be glued on easily. Make your loops, attach the pearls and let hang to dry as you normally would. I have an example on this cake, not with a bow, but the procedure is the same. hth icon_smile.gif

oops.. here is the link.. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1101813.html

11carol Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 5:46pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks guys.....cant wait to start

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 11

hi, glenda galvez is the first person i seen do this at an ices convention several years ago. she has a great dvd on this and her wonderful way of making roses her way. she glues the pearls to the edge of the bow while the g/p is still damp. empresses it to the loop with a dresden tool then folds the loop to dry. I have on on a gold bow in my pics for a golden anniversary . hth

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 11

wow icer! your cake looks great but the roses are amazing!!!!! loved how you put gold on the edges.

11carol Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 6:55pm
post #9 of 11

thanks....oh icer101...that cake is fab-love the roses too! think I might make some now myself.....one other question....will i make pearls with fondabt and gumpaste or just fondant?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 7:37pm
post #10 of 11

oh! just got back on the thread. thank you both for the nice compliment. I used strickly g/p for the bow and pearls. But you could use fondant and g/p mixed. I normally just use g/p. hth

11carol Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 7:39pm
post #11 of 11

thanks...im here trying to colour to match up to a latte colour! here goes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%