Too Late To Change My Business Name?

Business By cakegirl1973 Updated 28 Dec 2010 , 4:41am by cakegirl1973

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 4:17am
post #1 of 17

Hello! I started my cake biz last summer. At that time, I chose a biz name that reflected my product line--cakes, cookies, and other baked desserts. Now, most of my sales are cakes and cupcakes, and a couple months ago I took cookies and other desserts off of my website, because all I really want to do is make cakes and cupcakes. I would like to change my biz name to reflect that I make cakes. I hesitate because I am *starting* to develop some name recognition. I think that, if I am going to change my name, now is the time to do it. Has anyone changed the name of their cake business? Any advice?

16 replies
jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 17

Would you mind telling us the name of your business so that we can see what, if any, changes should be made?

Also, is it possible to hire someone to make the cookies/other desserts?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 17

If ur name involves cookies etc that you don't want to do, clearly it's time for some rebranding!
Also comes into it is existing materials - if you already have leaflets business cards etc. So if it's something more generic like 'fabulous bakes' maybe better sticking with the name and rebranding later, depending g on what you have.
xx

cakegirl1973 Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 17

[quote="jillmakescakes"]Would you mind telling us the name of your business so that we can see what, if any, changes should be made?

The biz name is Delicious Treats by (my name). So, the name still fits, but when I think treats, I tend to think of smaller goodies, like cookies, brownies, etc. I don't bake those anymore. I have come up with a cool cakery name that I really like and that no one appears to have, at least after
an online search. But is it too late to switch names?
[/b]

cakegirl1973 Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 17

[quote="jillmakescakes"]Would you mind telling us the name of your business so that we can see what, if any, changes should be made?

The biz name is Delicious Treats by (my name). So, the name still fits, but when I think treats, I tend to think of smaller goodies, like cookies, brownies, etc. I don't bake those anymore. I have come up with a cool cakery name that I really like and that no one appears to have, at least after
an online search. But is it too late to switch names?
[/b]

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 17

I'd go ahead and switch it, but just put "Formerly delcicious treats by..." under the new name for a while. The longer you wait the harder it will be to change it.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 7:28pm
post #7 of 17

While I don't think it would be necessary to change, if you want to, then costume's right, go with a transitional tag for a few months (maybe even a year), then drop it all together.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 8:52am
post #8 of 17

I know a photographer who changed his name after a few years and it really expanded his biz. Of course with the name change came a renewed marketing effort in a new direction that he really worked at and its paying off.

I think your name still fits ok, but the final call is yours, of course.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 17

Check your legals too- you make need to be Delicious Treats by >>> DBA New Name. (Doing Business As) Of course on a day to day basis for customers the New Name formerly Old Name works for the transition.

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 12:31am
post #10 of 17

I have shared this in the past. About 2 1/2 years ago there was a thread discussing names and logos. When I shared my name (which I had been using for many years) IndyDeb told me it sounded like a funeral home. I changed my name and my business has taken off!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 5:29am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky

When I shared my name (which I had been using for many years) IndyDeb told me it sounded like a funeral home.

What business name had you been using?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 12:45pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky

I have shared this in the past. About 2 1/2 years ago there was a thread discussing names and logos. When I shared my name (which I had been using for many years) IndyDeb told me it sounded like a funeral home. I changed my name and my business has taken off!

That's funny and horrible at the same time! I'm glad the new name has worked better for you!

cakegirl1973 Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 4:17pm
post #13 of 17

Thanks for your feedback, everyone! I think I am going to change my biz name in the new year. Happy Holidays!! icon_smile.gif

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 2:45pm
post #14 of 17

just ducky....I too am now curious to know the former name. I can't imagine a cake shop sounding like a funeral home....

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 3:25pm
post #15 of 17

The name was Heartfelt Memories. lol

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 4:00pm
post #16 of 17

Along that line, I had typed out a a post here where I was suggesting using the word 'treat' as a verb and drop the 's'--and have a tagline to explain it--like "you'll love doing business here" or "we take care of everything for you"--but then when I wrote it out, "Delicious Treat" I started thinking it might reference a completely different line of work-- icon_lol.gif
And your business might become "Heartfelt Memories" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cakegirl1973 Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 4:41am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Along that line, I had typed out a a post here where I was suggesting using the word 'treat' as a verb and drop the 's'--and have a tagline to explain it--like "you'll love doing business here" or "we take care of everything for you"--but then when I wrote it out, "Delicious Treat" I started thinking it might reference a completely different line of work-- icon_lol.gif
And your business might become "Heartfelt Memories" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

TOO FUNNY! I think I stopped breathing for a minute because I was laughing so hard! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%