Advice Needed

Baking By LoriB08 Updated 23 Dec 2010 , 3:42am by LoriB08

LoriB08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriB08 Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 4:02am
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone, Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.
I have been dabbling in baking on the side, a co-worker has asked if I could make cupcakes for her for Christmas and asked that I bring them to work on Thursday as we are off on Friday. This would mean that I would have to bake, fill and frost on Wednesday night, is this too early for Cupcakes to be eaten on Saturday?? I am wondering if I need to try to meet up with her on Christmas Eve but that would be hard...
Thanks

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 4:05am
post #2 of 12

Tell her it's too late to make plans and enjoy your holiday.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 4:16am
post #3 of 12

I'd simply tell her that if she wants them they'll be coming to work with you on Thursday.. that's the only option I'd offer. IMHO they'll be fine for Christmas...I'd be sure that she either provided me with a large Tupperware type container to put them in or make sure she understands to put them in an airtight container when she gets them home.

Merry Christmas!

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 4:27am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Tell her it's too late to make plans and enjoy your holiday.

Ditto! thumbs_up.gif

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 4:27am
post #5 of 12

Yes, they'll be fine. Think about this - this huge big wedding cakes aren't baked the day before the wedding - they are baked a week and even two weeks before. 3 days is nothing.

I bake on Monday for a Saturday delivery quite often.

LoriB08 Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 4:41am
post #6 of 12

I've made cakes a few days ahead but heard cupcakes were a bit trickier
I just had to take a break from my frosting... so upset, was going to frost some in green and some in red, got a green color I was happy with but not a red, it seemed a bit to pinkish still, not knowing what to do I added a dab of black and have a horrid color now... quite a bit of frosting wasted... icon_cry.gif

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 4:57am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriB08

I just had to take a break from my frosting... so upset, was going to frost some in green and some in red, got a green color I was happy with but not a red, it seemed a bit to pinkish still, not knowing what to do I added a dab of black and have a horrid color now... quite a bit of frosting wasted... icon_cry.gif

I always look to the color wheel to help me when I am mixing colors...there are several online just for the icing colors... I know there is one here on Cake Central...maybe someone has the exact location.

LoriB08 Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:10am
post #8 of 12

I have no idea what I was thinking, to add insult to injury there were little patches of color that I hadnt mixed up well (with the black) an in comparison the original 'red' that I had was pretty darn good... so much frosting and color wasted... about to go and take a stab at it again

LoriB08 Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:10am
post #9 of 12

I have no idea what I was thinking, to add insult to injury there were little patches of color that I hadnt mixed up well (with the black) an in comparison the original 'red' that I had was pretty darn good... so much frosting and color wasted... about to go and take a stab at it again

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 2:44pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriB08

I promise to Heaven, cupcakes will still be OK. I did an experiment about 6 years ago. I baked a batch of cupcakes and iced them (leaving no cake showing) and left them sitting on the counter. Two weeks later they still tasted fresh. No, I wouldn't sell those to a customer. But there was nothing wrong with them. At the same time I made a batch of buttercream (with 3 parts butter to 2 parts sweetex). It was 6 months before it started turnng on me. Really!! I had it stored in an airtight container sitting in my cabinet. It was summer time and I lived in the Upper High Desert in California.

I'm sure not everyone will agree or even have the same results, but IMNTBHO, they are fine.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 4:13pm
post #11 of 12

I agree with e above poster. Make sure you comp,eye cover the top of the cake with frosting. And always keep them in an airtight container. Air is the enemy to cake. That is why you read reviews about cakeries where they say the cupcakes are dry. They probavly weren't when they were bakes, but leave them sit out on display and they will be dry.

At Georgetown cupcakes they have a sign on the door that says please leave the door closed so our cupcakes will not dry out. But when they take them out of the oven they are left on proofing racks with the air around them before they are iced. And that contributes to the drying out. Then they are sold in paper boxes that are not air tight either. By the time we got to eat them they were drier than mine, but not too dry to eat. Still I knew that because they were nostriven to me In airtight containers, they would not taste fresh.

At home here my cupcakes are left out long enough to completely cool, maybe 45 to an hour. And cupcakes will dry out faster then cake because they are so small. I have a cupcake left that was made last Friday. Last night I pinched the sides and I could tell that it was fresh still. So if you store them correctly they will definitely last til then.

LoriB08 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 3:42am
post #12 of 12

Thank you all so much for your advice, I did get a slight change of plans that will work out for the best, I will be near her house on Christmas Eve to pick up my grandma and I told her that I could bring the cupcakes to her that afternoon, I will bake, fill and decorate and then deliver right away icon_smile.gif For the moment I have time on my side, I do not have children running around the house or family in from out of town.
I am so happy for all of the replies as there may be a time in the future that I will need to make them further in advance and its nice to see that is possible.
You are all the best icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%