Help! My Buttercream Is Grainy. What Do I Do?

Baking By Doughnut Updated 18 Dec 2010 , 11:25pm by soledad

Doughnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doughnut Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 6

Hello O' wise CC members,

No matter what recipe I use, my buttercream comes out grainy. Can anyone give me an idea as to what I may be doing wrong? I have even mixed it for seven minutes and still no luck.

Thanks in advance.

5 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 6

Grainy like you can feel the powdered sugar when you taste/touch it? If so, that has happened to me if I've used a last resort el cheapo PS because I've run out of the quality stuff.
If that's not the grainy you mean, maybe you can post your recipe to see if anyone can help.

Doughnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doughnut Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 6

Dayti,

Yes, that is the grainy I am speaking of. On the tongue, you can feel small "grains" of sugar. I can't get seem to get away from it. Could it really be the powdered sugar?

What would be a good brand to use?

Dayti Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 6

I'm afraid I can't tell you a good brand where you are since I am in another continent! But this is exactly what happened to me when I have on occasion used a Spanish brand of PS, when I ran out of the trusty English brand Tate&Lyle.

Dayti Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 6

I think its just to do with the amount of pulverizing each brand does to the cane sugar, to make it powdered. I have tried making my own in the food processor and it turns out rubbish, too grainy also, apart from making a mess.

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 6

Did you sift your Powder sugar? I always sift, I buy mine at Sam's or Publix brand. And another tip, I have notice that when I make a double bacht it comes softer, someone here mention that the buttercream will be better if it covers the flat beater when you are making it. HTH
CIAO

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%