Car Cake

Decorating By mychurch Updated 21 Dec 2010 , 1:00pm by mychurch

mychurch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mychurch Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 8:26am
post #1 of 8

i have put a loaf shape cake in the freezer, ready to carve into the shape of a car. i have never carved a cake before and would really appreciate some help. i intend covering it with fondant. do i torte and fill before or after carving? any tips would be welcome.does anybody know if there is a tutorial on this please, i cant find one anywhere. i really do hope there is someone out there can help me. thankyou peoples!!!

7 replies
mychurch Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 9:01am
post #2 of 8

help pleeeease???

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 11:00am
post #3 of 8

This may help you http://www.flickr.com/photos/37331318@N08/sets/72157619119013020/

And search for the car you are making on here http://www.the-blueprints.com/search/ and it will give you blueprints so you can print off a template and carve to the shape of the template.
You can either torte and fill then carve or you can carve then torte and fill, personal preference really. I guess its less messy if you carve then torte and fill.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 12:43pm
post #4 of 8

I also enlarged the blueprint to the size I needed for the cake -- front, back and sides. I find it easier to fill then chill and then carve (when it's cold it's less messy) and the cake can get delicate after carving so I don't want to have to stack the layers at that point. Carve it slowly to make sure you are getting the shape you want. Then crumb coat.

mychurch Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 2:43pm
post #5 of 8

thank you very much for your help ladies.

barb419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barb419 Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 12:08am
post #6 of 8

This makes me want to make a car cake! Thanks for the info.

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 11:42am
post #7 of 8

Hiya, I've made a few car cakes and have learned a few tips as I went along;

Don't forget wing mirrors! making from gumpaste with a long pointed stem leading from the mirror end helps them stay in the cake without drooping

Very thin slices of gumpaste round windows looks neater than piping

confectioners glaze/ edible varnish (I get mine on Ebay) gives the car a very realistic sheen at the end

if you find that following blueprints means your slices will end up very measly design the cake with the car sitting on a showroom pedestal (if the below link from an earlier cake of mine works you should see what I mean)

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1896859

Hope this helps!

Gray

mychurch Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 1:00pm
post #8 of 8

thank you crazy gray your tips will be very helpful. i love your car too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%