Freezing Cakes

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 18 Dec 2010 , 8:45pm by lutie

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 12:27am
post #1 of 14

Ok so I baked my cakes today, let them cool for hours, wrapped them up two or three times in aluminum foil and they are now in my freezer. Am I supposed to do anything else with them? (they will be used on the 26th of Dec) And what exactly is the process for thawing? Thanks guys!

13 replies
TheCakerator Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 14

anyone?

dee_licious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dee_licious Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 14

When I freeze my cake I usually wrap them in plastic wrap. When im ready to use them I just unwrap them and let them thaw out for an hour or two. I hope this helps you out some. Have a Merry Christmas and Prosperous New Year.

ellentwn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellentwn Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 14

Sounds like your on track. I take them out of freezer the morning of decorating. Leave them wrapped and sit on counter to thaw, usually takes 1/2 hr to 45 mins.

SleeplessBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SleeplessBaker Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 14

I also wrap them in plastic wrap, and let them completly thaw before I unwrap them.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:48pm
post #6 of 14

The very second mine stop being warm I put each layer on plastic wrapped cardboard then put each one in it's own garbage bag (the kind that comes on a roll like janitors use). Put them in the freezer and after they are frozen they can be staked. I ice my cakes frozen then I poke a hole in the cake at the top center all the way through so air can escape. Truly moist cakes. Tried and true method.

TheCakerator Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 14

thanks everyone, I guess I forgot to mention they were already wrapped up in saran wrap ... Thanks again!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 5:21pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady2266

The very second mine stop being warm I put each layer on plastic wrapped cardboard then put each one in it's own garbage bag (the kind that comes on a roll like janitors use).

Really? Janitor garbage bags don't sound like they're foodsafe especially if they're colored bags. You may want to check into getting the clear cornstarch bags that are foodsafe (I don't think they're called garbage bags).

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 6:20pm
post #9 of 14

I make sure keep mine wrapped until they are thawed...it helps to keep them moist! Also, Cakerator...I LOVE your avatar...big orange cat in a Santa suit = awesomeness! My orange cat would say NO icon_smile.gif

TheCakerator Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 6:56pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks anasazi! Cheddar let us to anything to him .. he had a "whatever" attitude!

cakelady2266 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 2:37am
post #11 of 14

Yes CWR41----- These are clear bags and unused of course, janitorial type was the only way I could think to describe them. They are similar to the bags you would use to bag fruit and veggies in the produce section. They come in different thickness and I purchase mine at a paper and plastic supplier. My health inspector approved these bags and they are food safe. Being a inspected baker I always check with my inspector to insure the safety of any products I use. Better than wrapping in layers plastic wrap that can let air in. I also ice my cakes frozen.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 3:37am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady2266

Yes CWR41----- These are clear bags and unused of course, janitorial type was the only way I could think to describe them. They are similar to the bags you would use to bag fruit and veggies in the produce section.

It's good to know they aren't garbage bags! Thanks for clarifying that... we wouldn't want readers to think black garbage bags are okay for food.

cakelady2266 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 8:24pm
post #13 of 14

I'm SO sorry for my poor description of the clear, non-printed, bags that are on a roll, that I personally use to place cakes in to be frozen. I hope I haven't caused any undue despair or stress for any Cake Central readers. I must be better at cake decorating and design than descriptive writing. If anyone has to have counseling or therapy because of me by all means send me the bill.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 8:45pm
post #14 of 14

I was a little more concerned about the fact that someone was wrapping their cake directly in foil...there should be something between the cake and the foil...otherwise, you will get dark cake spots!

I always thaw my cakes in the plastic wrapped covering and keep the outer foil sealed for several hours prior to decorating. That way the moisture stays in the cake, instead of finding drier places to go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%