Help! How Do I Cover A Ball-Shape With Fondant?!?

Decorating By ErinVA Updated 18 Dec 2010 , 9:30pm by FullHouse

ErinVA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ErinVA Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 5:37am
post #1 of 6

I am have tried before to cover a ball shaped cake with fondant and it always comes out with creases and bumps near the bottom. I am hoping to make a Cinderella's/Fairy Tale Carriage cake that i found in a Debbie Brown book. It is for family but i still want it to look nice. Any tips on how to properly cover a ball shape like that with fondant? Any help would be appreciated.

5 replies
Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 6:13am
post #2 of 6

well mine worked fine.. just make sure u have enough extra fondant cause the smaller the peice you roll the more difficult it is to get rid of the creases..
honestly maybe cause the ball i had was huge it turned out well.. for smaller cakes its more difficult.. try harder u well make it

good luck

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 6

I saw on a show once where they did half at a time. You will have a seam, but you can work with it to minimize the appearance of it, or cover with decoration. HTH Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 6

I saw on a show once where they covered half at a time. You will have a seam, but you can work with it to minimize the appearance of it, or cover with decoration. HTH Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

cupcakeluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeluv Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 4:18pm
post #5 of 6

Someone here gave me a great tip for my teapot cake. you roll circle of your fondant. Put your cake on can and then cover it. The seem will be at the bottom , and you will be able to trim the exsess fondant. you can see my cake in my fotos. hope it helps.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 6

I just did a Cinderella cake and the top was using the Wilton ball pan. I rolled a piece of fondant about 16-18" diameter. I placed the cake (on board) on a cookie sheet, I didn't want it to be raised and risk stretching the fondant. I just started smoothing at the top, went all around the top 1/4 of the cake, then around the next quarter and so on. I lifted and smoothed any pleats as I went around. Working with about 1/4 of the height at a time helps to keep it manageable when trying to lift/smooth out any the pleats.

I just added it to my photos, junky pic though, took it t the scholl w/my cell phone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%