How To Stack A Chocolate Cake?

Decorating By kinnies Updated 14 Dec 2010 , 10:03pm by kinnies

kinnies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kinnies Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 5

Hi im new to the forum icon_smile.gif
im making a two tier chocolate ganache covered cake, what im unsure of is once i have covered the bottom tier of the cake in ganache how do i put the next tier on? i was going to use a cake board for the second tier but do you put a cakeboard on top of ganache? or does ganache not set when chilled and make a huge mess?
sorry im rambling lol, i would appreciate any advice as im making it on christmas day for my cousins birthday on boxing day

thankyou icon_smile.gif

4 replies
ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 5

Cover them in the ganache separately, like you are making two different cakes. Dowel your bottom cake to support the next tier. I like to trace the next tier onto some wax paper, then cut it out so I can place it on top of the bottom tier as a guide to where my dowels should go! just gently lift and place you next tier on top of the bottom! Do you understand how I am explaining this or does it sound like I am rambling?!? LOL

kinnies Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for replying
so will the ganache be ok under the cardboard of the second tier or will it make a huge mess? does ganache set a bit when chilled? i have never made a ganache cake before so im unsure of the end result

thankyou icon_smile.gif

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 5

Yea it should be fine. Let it set before you try moving them around, I usually put mine in the fridge for at least 15 mins! Just don't let it get too hot, which being the middle of winter, I don't think you have to worry about melting too much!

kinnies Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 10:03pm
post #5 of 5

thankyou, i shall give it a try and keep everything crossed that it turns out ok lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%