How Many Samples To Make For My Next Show?

Business By jenmat Updated 16 Dec 2010 , 7:26pm by jenmat

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 1:07am
post #1 of 8

OK, so I've signed up for the biggest show of the year in our area.
Here are the stats:
3500 attendees, about 1200 brides (on average)
8 cake vendors featured

In the past I have done the smaller shows, 1200 attendees, and the last show we went through 1000 samples. There were only 3 cake vendors though.

So, how many samples do I pump out? I do them in the solo cups with lids so they can take them home. I will be doing 3 flavors instead of my usual 6.
Help!? I'm over-thinking this thing!

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 1:15am
post #2 of 8

Hly cakesamples, Batman! The biggest shows around here top out at 750 attendees.

2000 maybe?

jenmat Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 2:13am
post #3 of 8

You're tellin me! These people are piggies!
I was thinking 2000-2500, but I guess I'm not sure!

Some family members went to this one last year and said it was an absolute zoo. I'm still not sure why I agreed to it. Just the thought of traffic flow when the people are getting the samples is enough to make me cry.
Sad thing is I don't need the show, but I didn't know that in June when I had to book it.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 8

I just wanted to say good luck.

I've got someone waiting for me to make a decision about a local show. It's going to cost me $900 to participate, without display cakes and signage and samples....I'm sorta freaking out, knowing I should do it, but am petrified of making the commitment.

I think Leah is right on. Sounds like you need 2K at least....not that I have a lot of experience in this area, but it def sounds like a "twice as many" situation.

Let me ask a question: Do you IMBC or SMBC at these things? How do you keep them cool? I don't see a thousand samples fitting in a cooler. Or do they?

btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 8

I've done shows like that and yes, you need about 90-95% attendance in the number of samples. Definitely confirm with the producer of the show the number of attendees. They are usually extremely accurate.

These types of shows more is not better. Its just more. For samples, do something that *really* stands out. Like some of your most obscure flavor combinations, and no more than 2. In my area, most vendors bring Yellow (white or chocolate bcream)/ Chocolate (mocha or raspberry)/ and Marble or Lemon. I've always stood out and had the longest lines at my table because my flavors where so different from everyone else's, and folks tend to remember that. Some may not like it, but they remembered it!

jenmat Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 8

I am definitely pairing down the selection, usually I do 6 flavors, which really stands out, but I really don't want 3500 people stopping at my booth to read my flavor selections. I want them to grab and GO.... (and then remember meicon_smile.gif.
I'm thinking of only ordering about 2000 print material as well. Not EVERYONE coming to get free samples is going to be a bride. I hope that's the right choice. Maybe higher, maybe lower?

Karateka~
wow, that's an expensive show! Mine are $550. And I have offered IMBC at every show. I put them all in the solo cups with lids, and display them on my 9 tiered cupcake stand. I can fit about 600 at a pop. I have never refrigerated IMBC samples, except overnight for a next day show. They are FINE to sit out during the day. But then again, I'm not usually very worried about things spoiling here in the frozen tundra... in January....brrrrrrrrrr.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 8

::threadjack warning::

Tell me more about that 9 tiered cupcake stand.

jenmat Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 8

Hey, that's alright, I think the thread was dead anyway.
The stand is I believe in my pics and on my website under weddings. I can hold comfortably about 300 cupcakes.
I had it custom-made, since I was so annoyed with all the ones out there that held like 6 cupcakes for $300.
Made from acrylic and pvc pipe. Comes apart and I have a tub for it. So far its been a hit, and its pretty sturdy. I can rotate the plastic plates so they can be opposite each other for each tier, or in a spiral pattern, although I haven't done that for a wedding yet. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%