Lame Branding Question (Lol)

Business By motherofgrace Updated 14 Dec 2010 , 1:51am by motherofgrace

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 12:34am
post #1 of 6

ok so i have been in business for 1 farmers market season (so a little under a year)

I was wondering if trade shows are calling me and seeking me out, does that mean that I am branded?

I dont know if I am asking this right lol

Branding is when someone knows your company jus tby looking at it right?

5 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 1:15am
post #2 of 6

There are many different aspects to marketing...branding is only one component, and typically involves creating an identity for your company, including a name and logo, that is used consistently on all your product labels and customer communication.

Advertising is another component, and can include either taking out formal ads in various media or simply networking with others in your industry.

motherofgrace Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 1:21am
post #3 of 6

ok, I have a logo right now (tho i am revising it) and its everywhere lol

also I have not taken out any formal ads yet because I am only allowed to sell at the farmers markets

BUT

I did have an article written on my company!

Any other advise Jason?

I must be doign a little right for them to be seeking me out..... right?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 1:42am
post #4 of 6

Ok, I have a very good friend who runs a branding business (he actually let me interview him for a CC article). A logo is not a brand. A trademark is not a brand. the colors on your website is not a brand. Do not confuse "physical" identifiers as "brand".

Spend a whole day on my friend's blog for some very interesting reading and a great education on branding. If you ever have the chance to hear my friend Tony speak in person, jump at the chance!

http://bebranded.wordpress.com/

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 1:44am
post #5 of 6

If you are only allowed to sell at farmer's markets, you probably don't need to worry about marketing too much at this stage. If I were you, I would take the steps necessary to legally sell outside of farmer's markets ASAP so you can capitalize on the networking you've already done.

I would also be careful about offering custom products on your web site if you are not legally allowed to sell said products (not sure how strict the laws are in Alberta).

motherofgrace Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 1:51am
post #6 of 6

Jason-there are no community kitchens in edmonton, so i am stuck with the farmers markets until I can get a house (im in an apartment right now.

I actually have it set up that the custom orders are picked up at the farmers markets icon_smile.gif

indydebi- thanks i will be checking it out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%