3D Cake Pricing

Decorating By cserr4 Updated 13 Dec 2010 , 8:49pm by holliellen

cserr4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserr4 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 3

I was wondering what everyone charges for 3D cakes? I had a customer who wanted a cake that had suitcases(with all the buckle details and dragees) stacked on top of each other for 30 people. She also wanted a graduation cap on top and a GT bee leaning on the side of cake. I had suggested that instead of the bee on the side of the cake to maybe have the GT logo with the bee on the graduation cap. My original price on that was $150. But she came back and said she wanted the bee in 3D as tall as the cake and leaning on the side but she still just wanted to pay the $150. I told her that since it would be more hours put into it and more ingredients then I had to charge her an extra $30. After I told her this she decided not to go with the cake anymore. This is my first cake that someone wasn't willing to pay for the work that I was going to do. I'm a little disappointed but I don't want to undercharge.

2 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 3

first off... i think that was way to cheap.a 3D cake with multiple suitcases and a 3D bee to serve 30? Those would end up being some small cakes and more of a pain to deal with since they were so small.

I would have told her to begin with that she would get 1 suitcase, and the Bee would not have been 3D.... unless she wanted to pay a lot more.

holliellen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliellen Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 3

I just did a sclupted corset cake to feed 30 (I think it feeds a little more) and I charged 150. Look in my pics. It seems like the cake your describing would be a lot more work than I did and I live in a very rural area so my pricing is pretty low.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%