Edible Image Help Needed - Desperately!

Decorating By Crissielyn Updated 18 Dec 2010 , 12:16am by icingimages

Crissielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissielyn Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 13

Hello,

I am having a heck of a time getting my edible images off of their backing. I have scoured this site and the internet and still having trouble. I tried freezing them for a few minutes, tried laying them on (printed side up) on a damp towel, tried blasting the back with a hot hair dryer, and running them over sharp corners. All of these things are suggestions posted by others, but none are working that well..or at all.

Also, when I am able to get the image off it crumbles, so I am wondering if I let the sheet dry out? I printed the image and let it dry. They were probably out in open air for a few hours...so guess I dried them out and thats why they are crumbling?

I will reprint all my images on fresh sheets and try. But, still cant see why I can get the darn things off of the sheet.

Oh ya, I am peeling away the sheet (not trying to peel the image off of the sheet) and I also tried using a sharp knife to start a corner before peeling.

No luck...please help!! This is for my brothers 40th and without going into details, its an incredibly important birthday for both him and our family. I really need the images to do his cake.

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

12 replies
FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 12:08am
post #2 of 13

If you don't use them right away it's OK, but you have to seal them in a ziplock bag or something air tight. Especially during the winter when its dry inside the dry out fast!!

Good Luck!!

sepijoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sepijoun Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 12:39am
post #3 of 13

I always use an offset spatula and go between the rice paper and the backing with the spatula only. Also it is better to keep the rice paper in ziplock bags, as it easily dries out.

Crissielyn Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 1:17am
post #4 of 13

That must be it, they dried out. I live in California and it is pretty dry right now.

How long do I have to work with them before they are dried out and crumbly? Can I have about 20 minutes or so?

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 1:30am
post #5 of 13

I think 20 minutes is pushing it, I try to print my image, let the ink dry for no more than 5 minutes, then into ziplock bag until I need it. Once I take it out of the bag, same thing, I work quickly, again no more than 5 minutes or it will start to crack and dry out

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:29am
post #6 of 13

I print and put in ziploc right away.The ink drys almost immediately. I always have trouble taking image off paper. I use a thin sculpting off set spatula and run it between image and paper, I have to run it all the way under the image to release it. I do it all the time, just part of the process now.
I also keep image in ziploc until I'm ready to use it, since I do cookies I will release about 6 images at a time and they sit out for about 5 min.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 4:12am
post #7 of 13

What brand are you using. Check your humidity level. If you are leaving it out and having trouble, then moisture is most likely the cause. Dryness causes it to pull away from the backing and crack.

Crissielyn Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 10:59pm
post #8 of 13

I am using Kopy Kake. I bought some fresh sheets and they do come off the back, but can still be a bit difficult. I have noticed that if the images I am printing are dark and very saturated with ink, I have a much harder time getting them off. And, yes, the do dry up really quickly.

lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 11:07pm
post #9 of 13

That's why I really like the PhotoFrost items, the sheets are easily removed. Fresh made, quality controlled, great prices on his ink cartidges, very knowledgable customer service.. in house product made. icon_lol.gif

I have been using his products and Canon printer for many, many years, with total cusomer satisfaction.

Give them a call and make the judgement yourselve.

Happy Cake Decorating icon_biggrin.gif

icingimages Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 11:29pm
post #10 of 13

It sounds like your settings may be off. Which printer do you use and what settings do you print at. If you put too much ink on a page, that can make it difficult to remove the backing. KK and Photofrost icing sheets work very similiarly. You may want to take a look at Lucks or the Premium brand. Either way, if your ink settings are off that will cause the problems you are experiencing.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 11:31pm
post #11 of 13

i have been using kopykake icing sheets for several years. never had a problem . i also like icingimages sheets. I think you let them dry and that is your problem. Hope you get them fixed .

Crissielyn Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 11:40pm
post #12 of 13

I am using a Canon MP560. I have the print quality set to high and the print media set to paper, which is what Kopy Kake recommends to use with their sheets.

I am printing pictures of artwork and some are nearly all black and dark blue. Those are the ones that seem a bit tougher to get off.

icingimages Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 12:16am
post #13 of 13

A few things you want to do. Go to your printer properties, in the maintenance section, under custom settings, select Paper Abrasion. This will open up the rollers on the printer a bit for you. For our settings, now we do not use KK ink, only Icing Images Ink, you want to try setting it to matte paper and leave the print quailty on standard. See if it helps, but it definately sounds like the saturation level is causing the icing sheet to melt and stick to the backing. If you think about it, moisture is what is used to adhere the icing sheet to the icing. You are essentially putting too much moisture causing it to adhere to the backing. You may want to try stickign it the freezer for a little bit and that may dry it so you can get it off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%