Advice Needed Please

Decorating By puddles_gal Updated 12 Dec 2010 , 6:23pm by puddles_gal

puddles_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puddles_gal Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 7

I have some cupcakes due on Saturday, and plan on making some flowers to put on top of them today. This is my first time making flowers-should I make them out of gumpaste, or a 50/50 mixture of gumpaste and fondant (I use mmf)? The last time I made something out of just fondant with tylose added to it, my item didn't dry enough to hold its shape, and I don't want that to happen to the flowers. I'm just not sure if most people make their flowers from fondant when doing cupcakes so they can be eaten, or if they prefer gumpaste. Thank you so much for your help!

6 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 7

When I don't have heat or humidity, I make my flowers out of fondant but allow enough time for them to setup enough. You can always do a mix of fondant and gumpaste for a bit more stability if you want also.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 7

Are you doing realistic flowers or fantasy flowers?

puddles_gal Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

Are you doing realistic flowers or fantasy flowers?

I plan on just doing some roses, daisies, apple blossoms, etc. Simple flowers I guess.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 7

IMHO, since you are making realistic flowers, I would stick with 100% gumpaste. I only use a 50/50 mixture or fondant with tylose with fantasy flowers or figurines.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegirl383

IMHO, since you are making realistic flowers, I would stick with 100% gumpaste. I only use a 50/50 mixture or fondant with tylose with fantasy flowers or figurines.

Agree with this. Generally the more realistic you want the flower to be the thinner you have to roll your paste. You can roll gumpaste wafer thin so that makes the most realistic flowers.

puddles_gal Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you everyone! I will go with the gumpaste then! icon_surprised.gif)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%