Using Dark Colours Without Staining Mouths...

Decorating By kel58 Updated 13 Dec 2010 , 3:07am by BlakesCakes

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 3

Hello fellow cakers!
So I have volunteered to make 30 cupcakes and a 6inch round for one of clients at work (hairdressing) for her vow renewal.
She had really no idea what she wanted or a colour scheme or anything originally but now has decided to maybe match her dress.
I, of course, have no seen this dress but have been told that is black and very dark blue sparkly.
In my experience, these colours tend to stain everyones mouths and teeth and leave them looking rediculous.
Is there a way to stop this?? I am going to warn her that this could happen and maybe suggest just using accents of those colours. We meet tomorrow afternoon.
She also wants to use a very light/no deathly sweet icing so I was thinking a whipped icing. Do these colour dark well?

2 replies
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 3

Fondants disks over frosting. If they don't want to eat the fondants they can be peeled away.

Or white icing with fondants accents on top colored the same as the dress, say a small flower. That little bit won't stain teeth.

Or if you can find them, cupcake liners to match the dress and then use white frosting.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:07am
post #3 of 3

No way to use dark colors on a large scale and avoid staining.

Very dark colors are often bitter, unless they come pre-colored.

No, whipped icings generally don't take dark color well.

Sorry for the bad news.
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%