Wilton Giant Cupcake With Candy Liner

Decorating By kickasscakes Updated 16 Dec 2010 , 4:36pm by KJ62798

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 2:45am
post #1 of 8

For those that have done the candy liner, I have a question.
I love the look of the liner (as I don't know how easy it would be to do a fondant liner) those groves in the Wilton pan disappear I imagine, when frosted....
My question, with the candy base liner, is the cake DRY inside? NOT ICED?
Wondering how that works.... Not so yummy if the cake goes in naked.

TIPS?
TIA

7 replies
kickasscakes Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 4:10am
post #2 of 8

Anyone? icon_biggrin.gif

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 4:45am
post #3 of 8

I did a candy liner for the giant cupcake last weekend. I put a coat of frosting on the cake before putting it into the candy shell. Thicker than a crumb coat but not a super thick layer of BC.

I knew that I would have to trim down the cake to fit inside the shell so I popped the cake in the freezer for the night and then carved it down while still mostly frozen. Took off the ridges and a little bit of cake to make it fit in the shell.

The shell itself was dead-easy to do. Got rave reviews from party guests.

HTH
Kristy

kickasscakes Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 4:55am
post #4 of 8

Thank you so much for your reply!! How did your guests serve the cake?

KJ62798 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 5:05am
post #5 of 8

To be honest, for that party I made the giant cup and a bunch of regular cups. We used the regular ones at the party and my friend took the big one to her Bible study on the Monday after the party.

I built it like a tiered cake so the top section was on a board and got cut into pieces as usual. I'm not sure how she cut the bottom. My plan was to cut it down the middle, place each half on its cut side and then slice those for serving. I put bubble straws in the base cake but I think the candy shell probably would have provided enough support for the top which isn't very heavy.

Kristy

kickasscakes Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 8:26am
post #6 of 8

can I dowel though the candy liner? This cake will be 3 tiers (candy liner/cupcake on top)

kickasscakes Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 8:27am
post #7 of 8

can I dowel though the candy liner? This cake will be 3 tiers (candy liner/cupcake on top)

KJ62798 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 4:36pm
post #8 of 8

I'm sure that dowels underneath it would be fine to support it but I don't know if I would try to drive a center dowel though the cake & candy shell--that would probably break the shell.

Do you need to transport the cake? I would build the bottom 2 tiers and then set the big cuppie on top at the event. It's a little top heavy anyway and I don't know that it wouldn't topple over even if you managed to drive a dowel through it to the other tiers.

Kristy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%